Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Scent Control

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default DIY Scent Control

As I was looking up activated carbon for filtering purposes, I thought why not use this a scent control measure with my hunting gear? So of course hop on the google machine and it's already being done. I found some recipes on archery talk, some included activated carbon, others included baking soda, distilled water, and scentless shampoo. Are any of you folks making your own scent control?

Seems the simplest thing to do is just mix powdered active carbon with distilled water and spray it accordingly.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

BBQ charcoal in a plastic bin with your hunting clothes. The charcoal will absorb odor for a while then you need to replace it it doubles as....BBQ charcoal.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I found an old cedar chest in my parents shop when they moved, touched up in the inside with a light sandpapering which rejuvenated the cedar smell and now store my hunting clothes in there year round. No moths to speak of and smell like a cedar tree when in the bush.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Here's a different way of looking at it. Instead of spending all that coin on sprays, carbon clothing etc that are only somewhat effective, why not absorb and cover your scent at the same time with smoke. As it is essentially carbon it absorbs human odor while also providing a cover scent that is very effective, doesn't spook animals and lasts a long time. Some guys buy the bee smokers or one of those chimney charcoal starters for $15 work great. After that it's free for the most part.
    Here's a thread about it on Archery Talk forums. 60 posts and I was amazed at the number of positive comments on "smoking up" being very effective.
    https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showt...1344968&page=3

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That's a very interesting idea Smitty..thanks. I'm a Bee Keeper myself and use one of those 'smokers' and yes they would work great as a cover smoke. I think I'll give it try. I use hard wood shavings in it for the bees but may even try using a cedar chip as my stand is in a clump of cedar.

I've used the Deer Quest Scent sticks for many many years now. They work, proven, time and time again. Cover or mask you scent, great attractant.

I hunt deep in the bush and trying to 'beat' the wind is impossible. It swirls around on the forest floor and changes direction constantly. So I use scent sticks and use the wind to carry an attractant to them and mask my smell.
    Last edited by MikePal; September 13th, 2018 at 04:15 AM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

The single most effective way is to hunt the wind to your advantage. Some days, your favorite spots woin't be worth going to because of this. Stay home or find a different spot.
    But if it boosts your confidence, go for it.
    My opinion is scent control products are a marketing jedi mind trick, the scent control only works on humans. ( we have a guy in our camp that spends money on these products, and does his little spray down ritual every morning before going into his watch, and strangely enough, our beagles find him just the same as the rest of the watchers)

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B Wilson View Post
    The single most effective way is to hunt the wind to your advantage. Some days, your favorite spots woin't be worth going to because of this. Stay home or find a different spot.
    My opinion is scent control products are a marketing jedi mind trick, the scent control only works on humans. ( we have a guy in our camp that spends money on these products, and does his little spray down ritual every morning before going into his watch, and strangely enough, our beagles find him just the same as the rest of the watchers)
    I agree with the point of marketing jedi mind tricks to an extent, hence the essence of the thread being a DIY. I do feel better sitting in a tree knowing I've done my due diligence to get in there with as little disturbance to the environment as possible.

Playing the wind should always be top priority, but there are so many factors that can influence where your scent is carried, thermals, swirling, wind changing direction.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

The guys in my Bear camp swear by the Ozonics machine. They claim animals have come up down-wind & never smelled them. I checked them out & no way I'm spending $500.00 on something that might work... lol

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B Wilson View Post
    These debates come up all the time, and sure wind is the most important option. If only wind never changed directions or reacted to temp differences. I've yet to hunt a stand that the wind doesn't change over a morning hunt.

And I don't think anyone believes that scent control products are 100%. If they do they are dilusional. Until we can stop breathing, your going to smell. Non-believers always through out the arguement that dogs find people that are wearing scent control. I don't find that surprising at all. Everyone and everything smells to point, but its not an all or nothing issue.

What I do believe is that scent control practices can minimize your scent. Kind of like standing in line at the grocery store behind the old lady that used way too much perfume or the old guy that obviously hasn't had a bath in a week. They smell much worse than most other people in the store, and from farther away.

So If I've taken scent control measures and you haven't and were both 50yrds from a deer. I believe that you will be perceived as more of a threat. It will probably smell both of us, but very will may think that I'm out of the range that presents a danger. And I'll take that advantage.

I could be completely wrong, but feel that over the years i've gained an advantage of a few occasions compared to my hunting buddies that take no control measures. Either way it gives me more confidence and so I think its worth the time and expense.

I'll take any advantage I can get. wind being a huge one, scent control a lesser one, but both an advantage in my mind.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    The guys in my Bear camp swear by the Ozonics machine. They claim animals have come up down-wind & never smelled them. I checked them out & no way I'm spending $500.00 on something that might work... lol
    Skeeter is a big fan of ozone. I believe he builds his own units for a fraction of the cost.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast