Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long range scope ?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default long range scope ?

Hi, was wanting to buy a good quality long range scope, Leuopold, Swarovski, or Zeiss, somewhere around $1000 to spend. wanting something that i can put the turret on and dial it in for my .300 win mag, dont want the mildot scope right now, i heard the turret is great. is the turret something that you order separately from the company for the specific load?

any suggestions, comments would be great, have never had a scope like this before but plan to do some sheep and goat hunting next year and don't want to be guessing
    Last edited by Bolivar; September 13th, 2018 at 10:11 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Good Zeiss scopes are well above that $1000 starting point. I would suggest reading up on FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes. They may fit your situation. Long range shooting is a blast, whatever scope you are interested download the ballistics app for that brand and play around with it. Your experience there may influence your decision.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Got a good deal on a Leupold VX-5HD 3X15 44mm this summer. Bass Pro had the best price. It was $1049 (hard to tell from their website in american dollars so visited the store in Vaughan). Waited to catch it on sale in early August, and it overlapped with the trade in deal. Gave some garbage old .22 scope for an extra $100 off.
    Paid $849 plus tax.
    Has the CDS dial (I still have to order the custom dial) and distance marked side focus. Research this item if it suites your needs. If you can wait till early August 2019 then you should catch the extra deals again.
    Plan to range to caribou and moose with the rangefinder, turn the turret and side focus to match, then aim the bulls eye.
    One Shot = One Kill

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Best thing.... practice!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BowMagI-Xxk
    or even 600 yards with iron sights
    https://www.full30.com/video/40521ed...9d1bf6e3f30f68

A scope, a range finder and practice...... a $1000 scope is not better than a $200 scope, a $300 range finder and $500 in targets and ammo.
    "It's disturbing that when it comes to the Christian faith, people don't really want, or know how, to investigate the evidence" - Daniel B. Wallace So why not learn?
    Sadly few remember kids: Compassion, Samaritans Purse, World Vision

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hope you take the time to learn how to use a Ballistic Calculator, and develop a good understanding of spin drift, Coriolis Effect, wind drift, Mirage, and how these are effected by Temperature, Humidity, Altitude, Air Density( Pressure), and Cosine Angle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics
    Last edited by Snowwalker; October 6th, 2018 at 01:56 PM.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Hope you take the time to learn how to use a Ballistic Calculator, and develop a good understanding of spin drift, Coriolis Effect, wind drift, Mirage, and how these are effected by Temperature, Humidity, Altitude, Air Density( Pressure), and Cosine Angle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics
    When talking about ballistics, the Coriolis Effect refers to the deflection on the trajectory of the bullet generated by the spinning motion of the Earth. Its effect is negligible at medium distances, but becomes important around 1000yds and beyond, especially because it can add to other minimal errors and keep you off target.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    When talking about ballistics, the Coriolis Effect refers to the deflection on the trajectory of the bullet generated by the spinning motion of the Earth. Its effect is negligible at medium distances, but becomes important around 1000yds and beyond, especially because it can add to other minimal errors and keep you off target.
    There is a question of what long distance means to him as well. 500 to 800 yards, or 800 to 1200 yards?
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    There is a question of what long distance means to him as well. 500 to 800 yards, or 800 to 1200 yards?
    When more game is shot at around 100 yards or less, 300 and 400 is a long range shot.

The OP is talking about goat and sheep hunting, so he does not have to worry about the Coriolis affect.
    His biggest worry would be the variance of the wind in the mountains.

And as for Cosine Angle ??? ; link: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/sincos.html
    Last edited by jaycee; October 6th, 2018 at 09:12 PM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

$1000 will get you a Swarovski key fob and a fancy sticker for your bumper. Long range models are $2400-5k without rings when I looked at them. Good luck even getting a used one for 2K. I'd be checking out what Vortex has to offer if you have a 1K budget.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

(Simple answer for a simple question)

Have a look at a Viper PST.

Purchased one on CGN in the spring and i like it. I have not shot pass 600 yards yet but so far itís doing well in all conditions.

First touret scope for me and it isnít difficult.

I wanted a CDS but if you donít have a load yet or if you shot different ones there is no point ordering a set of ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast