Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: long range scope ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    When more game is shot at around 100 yards or less, 300 and 400 is a long range shot.
    The OP is talking about goat and sheep hunting, so he does not have to worry about the Coriolis affect.
    His biggest worry would be the variance of the wind in the mountains.
    And as for Cosine Angle ???
    You have to correct for the cosine Angle when shooting up or Down a slope. The distance to your target may be 400 yards up or down the slope, but the horizontal is less then 400 yards. When measuring the effect of gravity on a bullet’s trajectory, it needs to be done at a distance that is , perpendicular to the line of gravity. When shooting uphill or down, you need to know the level distance.

For example:
    Let’s say I’m using a .300 Winchester to shoot at a target 400 yards away, but at a downhill angle of 20 degrees. I need to hold 19 inches above the bullseye, in order to allow for the drop in trajectory over that 400 yard distance.
    I hit the target about 4 inches higher than I aimed. Why did the bullet hit higher?

In this case, where my .300 Winchester was 19 inches low at 400 yards, I should’ve held for 375 yards — the level distance — where the bullet will strike 15 inches low. Here’s the math:

Cos (20 deg.) = 0.939 0.939 x 400 yards = 375.8 yards.

P.S> When you learn how to do something you should learn everything. People that only learn small amounts about a subject are dangerous to them self and others.

Just look at drivers, they learn how use the brake, gas pedal and steer. Rules of the road, using turn signals, why bother?
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    You have to correct for the cosine Angle when shooting up or Down a slope. The distance to your target may be 400 yards up or down the slope, but the horizontal is less then 400 yards. When measuring the effect of gravity on a bullet’s trajectory, it needs to be done at a distance that is , perpendicular to the line of gravity. When shooting uphill or down, you need to know the level distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post

For example:
    Let’s say I’m using a .300 Winchester to shoot at a target 400 yards away, but at a downhill angle of 20 degrees. I need to hold 19 inches above the bullseye, in order to allow for the drop in trajectory over that 400 yard distance.
    I hit the target about 4 inches higher than I aimed. Why did the bullet hit higher?

In this case, where my .300 Winchester was 19 inches low at 400 yards, I should’ve held for 375 yards — the level distance — where the bullet will strike 15 inches low. Here’s the math:

Cos (20 deg.) = 0.939 0.939 x 400 yards = 375.8 yards.

P.S> When you learn how to do something you should learn everything. People that only learn small amounts about a subject are dangerous to them self and others.

Just look at drivers, they learn how use the brake, gas pedal and steer. Rules of the road, using turn signals, why bother?
    That is why we have and use Range Finders that compensate for angles up or down and give us the range in distance measured horizontally.
    This measurement is at your disposal instantly, without having to use your calculator on your phone which takes more time and possibly lets your prey get away farther requiring more measurement and time lost.

I have hunted in the mountains, [ pre. range finder days successfully ] and neither myself nor the guide used any trigonometry to figure out the distance to the target,he just said app. 200 yds. [ with an slight upward angle ] and viola dead Big Horn Sheep and a very happy hunter .
    Last edited by jaycee; October 7th, 2018 at 11:12 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post

That is why we have and use Range Finders that compensate for angles up or down and give us the range in distance measured horizontally.
    This measurement is at your disposal instantly, without having to use your calculator on your phone which takes more time and possibly lets your prey get away farther requiring more measurement and time lost.

I have hunted in the mountains, [ pre. range finder days successfully ] and neither myself nor the guide used any trigonometry to figure out the distance to the target,he just said app. 200 yds. [ with an slight upward angle ] and viola dead Big Horn Sheep and a very happy hunter .
    So your saying that if not for a guide, or a piece of electronic magic, you can't shoot because you can't do the math in your head?

Or that you don't think anyone should take the time to understand?
    You don't need a calculator.

15 to 20 degrees of slope is 95% of horizontal distance.
    400 yards at 20° = 95% of 400.
    Or
    400 - 5%( 4 * 5)
    400 - 20
    = 380.
    Close enough for me.

If you want I can post a cheat sheet for you.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; October 7th, 2018 at 04:11 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have been hunting very successfully for more years than you have been here on this earth, those [ cheap sheets, your spelling ] you are referring to , keep then for yourself, I don't need them.
    I learned to hunt , not just shoot and keep my shots within my rifles point blank range and therefore I don't have to worry or think about the Coriolis affect, or the Cosine Angle . ???
    Have a good day!

Leads by example

User Info Menu

No need these days to worry or bicker about doing any math. I have the cheapest range finder that Bushnell makes and the Arc function does this for you. Just click it into arc mode and the thing tells you what you need to hold over or under in inches, taking into account the angle you're shooting up/down. Works like a charm. Trig sucked bad enough back in grade nine.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    No need these days to worry or bicker about doing any math. I have the cheapest range finder that Bushnell makes and the Arc function does this for you. Just click it into arc mode and the thing tells you what you need to hold over or under in inches, taking into account the angle you're shooting up/down. Works like a charm. Trig sucked bad enough back in grade nine.
    Having "toys" to do the hard work is great, I am just a firm believer that you should at least have an understanding why you use them.

Experience and practice using the toys will also give you an eye for the angle, when it's time for a quick shot. So it goes both ways.

Memorize a simple formula and you can memorize a cheat sheet for out to say 400 yards.

As Jaycee says, no one shoots beyond 400 yards.

Sorry you had to do Trig in Grade nine.

I started learning Algebra and Trig in about grade five. Not in school, or at least not public school.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

You should thank your rich parents for sending you to that private school for very special children. Had you attended the rural farm community public school that I attended, the other nine year old beef and dairy farm kids would have quickly labelled you as a condescending arrogant narcissist. Chances are you would have received a very crude, sound beating during your walk to school and at every recess break throughout the day. You probably would have succumbed to the relentless violence and would never had made it to see grade 6. Chances are you would have hated math class and would have never had the stomach for the future abstract and linear algebra classes, or the chance to solve the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyre conjecture.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    You should thank your rich parents for sending you to that private school for very special children. Had you attended the rural farm community public school that I attended, the other nine year old beef and dairy farm kids would have quickly labelled you as a condescending arrogant narcissist. Chances are you would have received a very crude, sound beating during your walk to school and at every recess break throughout the day. You probably would have succumbed to the relentless violence and would never had made it to see grade 6. Chances are you would have hated math class and would have never had the stomach for the future abstract and linear algebra classes, or the chance to solve the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyre conjecture.
    I was sent to a residential school...

Maybe you should think before you....well just maybe think.

As for beatings....ya that was one of the reason I got sent away... I did beat up a few of my former classmates.
    Hurt one guy pretty bad...

Now how about talking about the subject at hand..

Long range scopes.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; October 8th, 2018 at 11:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12