Thread: Reloading Topic

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Reloading Topic

Just throwing out another idea ... how about a Reloading Topic. I know for now we can use the Firearm section but a Reloading Topic would be a great addition and good reloading info won't get lost with other firearm topics. Just some future considerations

Paul

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

It is a good thought. People keep asking about reloading advice and their posts get lost in the Firearm forum. Good thing to think about.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zr2Paul View Post
    Just throwing out another idea ... how about a Reloading Topic. I know for now we can use the Firearm section but a Reloading Topic would be a great addition and good reloading info won't get lost with other firearm topics. Just some future considerations

Paul
    Agree. I had a recent thread to see if I could generate interest for a separate topic for Reloading.
    There is room for all God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That's a tough call because there aren't that many who reload and therefore the section wouldn't be all that active.
    I'm of the opinion that if it were to stay in the hunting section then more non-reloaders would see it and maybe become interested in the hobby.
    I've seen sites in the past that had waaaay too many individual sections and those sites didn't last as members only visited those few topics they were interested in. As a result overall interest faded because there was little interaction between members.

Past Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    That's a tough call because there aren't that many who reload and therefore the section wouldn't be all that active.
    I'm of the opinion that if it were to stay in the hunting section then more non-reloaders would see it and maybe become interested in the hobby.
    I've seen sites in the past that had waaaay too many individual sections and those sites didn't last as members only visited those few topics they were interested in. As a result overall interest faded because there was little interaction between members.
    My thoughts exactly. Although a great suggestion we will keep it in the firearms forum and not create any sub-forums at the moment.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Always a legal liability issue as well. People post a load and someone's gun blows up and everybody get sued....

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Big Jack, I don't agree that there is a legal liability. I believe there are sufficient warnings out there about how to work up a load i.e. don't start at the max.

CalTech - Sawbill,
    While I don't disagree that there is potential for a Reloading Topic to become seldom used though I too would like to see one. I wondering if there isn't another way to generate interest. Here in Eastern Ontario there is a growing number of reloaders. I personally have worked to get more interest.
    One of the ideas I am toying with is to put out a call for interest in doing 'bulk buys'. I know that the Old Co-Op in North Gower would be willing to take a bulk order from many people where I would expect that savings can be had by all if there is sufficient interest.
    There must be other Mom n Pop places across the province that would do the same. I propose that we use the power of numbers and this forum to work toward this.
    We all know that reloading allows one to shoot more for less. Shooting more often is fundamental to making us all better hunters. This is how I see the two as being interconnected and I would therefore contend that it is incumbent upon the older guys/gals to lead the younger ones...
    There is room for all God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zr2Paul View Post

Paul
    Is there critical mass before they establish a new topic heading ? If there is add me I would certainly enjoy seeing a separate location for Reloading. I have to imagine that it most likely a part of the hunting heritage many of the members which has escape them overtime for one reason or another. Ammunition has become like coffee its much easier to buy it ready made, then to invest time and energy in assembling your own. For me reloading adds to adventure of hunting. It certainly provides an opportunity to shoot more, especially when you're working up loads. Once you have your load, hunting doesn't usually involve much shooting, generally one well placed bullet. When it comes to shotgunning, stylizing your ammunition can certainly up your game. i remember when switching from lead to steel the difficulty I had in shooting close in ducks. Then I came across the ideal of putting spreader in the shot column, I was amazed at their effectiveness when it came to close in birds.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Last edited by Gun Nut; August 14th, 2019 at 03:57 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I am a big time reloader, and would use this forum more if with a dedicated topic. Also, consider when I search about reloading Canada..it brings me to GUNNUTS. If you want to grow this forum add the topic.

My hunt mentoring program is in top of goggle search engine, and directs people to this forum, along with FB posts.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Since the topic hasn't been raised again in 5 1/2 yrs, it would indicate that there really isn't much interest. Especially since almost everyone on here that reloads is also a member of Gun Nuts... just saying

note: I just checked, there appears to be only 9 active threads so far in all of 2019...so it's not that hot a forum over there either.
    Last edited by MikePal; August 16th, 2019 at 07:01 AM.