Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minnow Cribs

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I'll throw out another tidbit of information that you can chew on. If one of your holes is located next to an outside wall then you can drill a hole outside of your shack as close as possible to the hole inside your shack. Then lower your minnow keeper down this hole and secure it so that it is about 5' or so under the ice.When this hole freezes over it will never be opened up again. To retrieve your minnows you will have to make a modified "J" hook with a handle that is at least 4" long. The modification that I'm speaking of can best be visualized by looking at the two dimensional letter J, but you will need to bend the J at it's bend in the third dimension so that when it is lowered down the hole in your shack it can snag the rope that is holding your minnows. The minnow keeper is then retrieved in your ice shack.The exact dimensions of the "J" hook will depend on the size of your auger, obviously the bigger the hole the larger that you will be able to make the hook.
    The nice thing about this setup is that there isn't any rope or chain interfering when you have to reopen your hole and therefor you can use a power auger instead of an ice chisel.
    That's a great idea buddy, but depending on what you are fishing for. If for big fish I can just see my line getting tangled around that rope. Specially pike. But you could use the concept outside easily, like if you wanted to leave minnows overnight on a back lake or somewhere where no one could see it and then come back the next day with a power auger.

Cheers
    Last edited by smitty55; January 26th, 2014 at 07:33 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    That's a great idea buddy, but depending on what you are fishing for. If for big fish I can just see my line getting tangled around that rope. Specially pike. But you could use the concept outside easily, like if you wanted to leave minnows overnight on a back lake or somewhere where no one could see it and then come back the next day with a power auger.

Cheers
    Whenever you are fishing with this setup, the minnow keeper has to be out of the water and the rope will also be out of the water.
    If you try to fish with the minnows under the water you will surely tangle up as you have described.
    I forgot to add one point in my first post so I'll include it here.
    When you lift the minnows out of the water it is best to have a 5 gallon pail handy so that you can put the minnow keeper inside the pail before you do anything else. This will keep the water from dripping all over the floor.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I agree buddy, but I transfer the minnows to another ice cream container or set the holey one in side another (just to save space) while I am fishing. This is a convenient set up for my situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12