Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upland parka and 400 sq inches of hunter orange

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Couliewalker View Post
    Perfect
    The requirement is for non natives only.
    Just to clarify
    If ur native you don't need to buy it
    Little bit of chest thumpin there eh Coulie? Common sense should dictate, not race. But by all means, carry on....

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    You can always get the coat/jacket you like............................... and then just buy a cheap orange vest for the big game orange requirement.
    Thanks, great idea.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Couliewalker View Post
    Perfect
    The requirement is for non natives only.
    Just to clarify
    If ur native you don't need to buy it
    You're just as dead if you get shot.....native or non-native. We had a fatal shooting in a moose hunt area back in the 70s and yes it was a native without camo walking through a huge controlled burn.

Common sense to wear it IMO.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    You're just as dead if you get shot.....native or non-native. We had a fatal shooting in a moose hunt area back in the 70s and yes it was a native without camo walking through a huge controlled burn.

Common sense to wear it IMO.
    Meh, I’m on the fence about hunter orange. I do a lot of hunting in BC and they have no orange requirement. And keep in mind it is pretty much an open rifle season for most species from sept-December out there.

The most important thing is always knowing your target before you shoot.
    Part of me wonders if the orange creates a carelessness in some people, because if it’s not orange it must be an animal.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will squander all his earnings, relationships and free time.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kdp89 View Post
    Meh, I’m on the fence about hunter orange. I do a lot of hunting in BC and they have no orange requirement. And keep in mind it is pretty much an open rifle season for most species from sept-December out there.

Part of me wonders if the orange creates a carelessness in some people, because if it’s not orange it must be an animal.
    I hunt BC as well. The big difference is the hunter numbers... a lot more hunters in Huntable areas in Ontario.
    I wouldn’t leave the camp without it....

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kdp89 View Post
    Meh, I’m on the fence about hunter orange.

Its about harm reduction. A hunter dressed in green looks like a bush so no matter how careful one is its impossible to pull the trigger and can say with absolute certainty no ones there.
    At least if you where orange you give the other hunter half a chance to make the right call.
    For the weight of wearing orange ones has to wonder why the heck one wouldn't wear orange mandated or not when there is the slightest chance of encountering someone else.
    In the end I'm ultimately responsible for my own safety and feel its foolish to trust someone else to be perfect.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The point of orange isn't to make clear you're not an animal. The point is to be visible from a distance so buddy knows you're there.

They have no orange requirement in Alberta. I had an Albertan mocking the orange rule here a few years back while out there on business. The same guy who quit hunting after being repeatedly shot at. "The guy didn't stop shooting til I shot back," he said.

So yeah.

Anyway, best option is a cheap vest, because orange fades.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I had an incident a few years ago that reinforced for me the wearing of hunter orange. I was on a deer stand, overlooking some spruce regen. The trees were about 6-7 feet tall. I began seeing flashes of brown crossing through the regen, about 75 yds out. I couldn’t see what exactly it was, so even thinking about raising my rifle was not an issue. I watched this “deer” cross in front of me and then enter an opening......it was a dumb arse tree thinner, wearing a brown coat and black pants....no orange whatsoever !!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I have a Browning upland coat,too, that's full orange down the back and across and over the shoulders that doesn't meet the regs,either,because it's not "readily" visible from the front or sides.
    I think I have the same one. How do you know it won't meet the requirement? Is that your opinion or have you tested it with a CO? I'm not trying to be confrontational - I'm asking because I've wondered the same. I really like the vest and I want to use it during the deer season, but I'd prefer to respect the rules.
    Last edited by rf2; October 2nd, 2018 at 01:31 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    I think I have the same one. How do you know it won't meet the requirement? Is that your opinion or have you tested it with a CO? I'm not trying to be confrontational - I'm asking because I've wondered the same. I really like the vest and I want to use it during the deer season, but I'd prefer to respect the rules.
    I was "advised" by a CO while on an upland hunt that although from the back I looked like a full flash of orange,when I turned around to answer her greeting,except for my hat and shoulder patches,I almost disappeared from her view through the trees until I got almost right up to her. She advised that although my coat met the orange dimension requirement with the back panel and shoulders combined,it wasn't completely visible from side and front as required. The lady was all business issuing a warning. While the season for Black Bear was open,I was unlicensed at the time and carrying correct size shot shells,therefore,not required to wear full orange,otherwise,she would have laid a charge. I wasn't about to enter into a discussion with her at the time. It's my favorite hunting coat,so,I just picked up a cheap cloth orange vest to slip over it when necessary. Being a big believer in "be seen,be safe",I have an older orange camo jacket I use for Coyote when hunting with other hunters. It's old and about ready to fall apart and I haven't been able to find one to replace it.
    Last edited by trimmer21; October 2nd, 2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: sp
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast