Thread: replacing boat floor

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default replacing boat floor

Going to replace the floor in my boat this winter and was thinking about a vinyl covering on new marine plywood. Anyone ever used bed liner on plywood boat floor? wouldn't want black but if a lite grey or off white is available wondering what others have done?
    Last edited by Jow; October 6th, 2018 at 06:32 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Anytime a wood product is in contact with water or a high humidity environment you should expect an accelerated rotting process, even if the wood product has been treated with some sort of preservative. If you lock that moisture in with a product that doesnt breathe, like a vinyl, then you will significantly reduce the life span of the wood. Too me carpet is a wiser choice because it breathes and the underlying wood will dry faster.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Anytime a wood product is in contact with water or a high humidity environment you should expect an accelerated rotting process, even if the wood product has been treated with some sort of preservative. If you lock that moisture in with a product that doesnt breathe, like a vinyl, then you will significantly reduce the life span of the wood. Too me carpet is a wiser choice because it breathes and the underlying wood will dry faster.

isn't vinyl used on most boat floors now?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Might be a great idea...coating marine plywood (or regular plywood for that matter) with 'bed liner'...should hold up well to water wear and tear.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

In 2006 I replaced the floor in my old 16' Mirrocraft. Marine plywood was too expensive and only available on special order where I lived, so I used regular good one side 5/8 plywood. I coated the plywood with epoxy then used contact cement to attach indoor outdoor carpeting. This year, 12 years later, the carpet was worn out. I scrapped the old stuff off, the plywood was in good condition so redid the epoxy then contact cemented new indoor outdoor carpeting. I am hoping for another 12 years out the floor.
    Rick in Muskoka