Thread: Beds?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Default Beds?

I have a stand in a 2-3 acre clearing near a swamp. It's really the only open shooting area I can get into without having deer wind me. I've noticed beds starting to appear about 30-40 yds out in front on my stand.

I'm wondering if it's advisable to attempt a predawn entry to my stand and then an early morning hunt or a midafternoon hunt until dusk? I don't want to bump the deer off the beds but I'd like to catch them returning to the beds.

Any advise?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We have always had much better luck hunting fields in the evening. Thereís no way you can sneak into a blind in the dark and not spook deer they are bedded out in the field in front of your blind...your clearing would be much the same. However, once the deer start to move more, I would try sneaking into the stand about an hour before light. They are likely to be moving through there at any time of the day. Iíve had deer literally follow me into my stand in the dark. They hear you, but unless they wind you they think itís just another deer moving around. Be as quiet as you can, stop for a few seconds as you walk in...try to sound like a deer walking....Iíve killed a few that have followed me in, lots came in when it was too dark, and before legal light.
    Last edited by rick_iles; October 7th, 2018 at 01:33 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Rick is correct but....
    How much do you want to do a night blood trail retrieve?
    Done it twice... it is a hateful experience.
    Just as bad.. gutting and hauling out of bush in the dark.

Sure deer are easier to see close to sundown but I'd rather shoot my deer in the morning and have full daylight to retrieve, gut and get get it home.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Rick is correct but....

Sure deer are easier to see close to sundown but I'd rather shoot my deer in the morning and have full daylight to retrieve, gut and get get it home.
    Bullet placement is key !!

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Rick is correct but....

Yes I've done that task many times. It's to the point now I shut the hunt down earlier than I need to legally or I pass on any shot that isn't 20 yds and unobstructed. I can't see blood (colour blindness) well so it's a tracking situation for me. I primarily bow hunt because of how the deer behaviour changes after the first gun hunt. It's a lot tougher to get a deer after they've been shot at.

These beds just appeared in the last two weeks. I'm on a travel route primarily so I don't think this is a daily bedding area.