Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: 12ga3” OO buck test group

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with buckshot, those that think there is don't know where or how to use it.
    Buck shot max 30 yards full choke.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Nothing wrong with buckshot, those that think there is don't know where or how to use it.
    EEF 12 Gauge .675" Extended choke. ( that is 5 thousandths of an inch bigger then a 16 gauge bore by the way)

Strings the buckshot out like a machine gun burst.
    At 30 yards the deer is not walking away.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    That was a good article...
    Except that they claimed that the full choke was the best in all cases, except for the Federal load where the full choke was the worst at all ranges and the Federal load with an Improved choke beat all the other loads at all the other ranges.

To the OP, you do not give enough information for anything here, your load is a single load, you did not choose other types or sizes or chokes and you did not note any of that.

This is about as useful as, I shot my 30-06 yesterday, did not hit anything at 100 yards, opinions?

Buckshot has been proven effective for many many years, there is a reason why it it still made, used and legal, but there are people who do not pattern it, do not stay within the effective range and ruin a fine thing.

Just remember, the 30-30 cannot kill deer, premium ammunition is the only thing worth buying, if your scope does not cost $2000 it cannot hold zero, etc.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Federal buckshot loads with their flight control wads perform very well. Pattern your gun and restrict your shots inside 45yards.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

OP stated he was using a smoothbore barrel with a fixed ic choke. If he wants to use buckshot I would definitely try different manufacturers and start with the Federal load with the flight control wad. Another barrel with removable chokes might be a good idea to try as well. Failing that, start experimenting with slugs if you want/have to use a shotgun. Once you have found a combination you are happy with, practice with it and know your effective range.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Every year buckshot is bad x. For me, 5yrs x 5 deer all immediately downed by 00 Buck, all within 25-30 yards.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

To many deer with this stuff get away never to be found.

Not permitted in my gang. I gave one guy some lenience a few seasons ago and sure enough he jumped a deer and blasted off. 4 miles of tracking and lost the blood trail.

Never again.

Unless you are really good at judging distance, just use a slug.

Although bad shots are bad shots....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    To many deer with this stuff get away never to be found.

Not permitted in my gang. I gave one guy some lenience a few seasons ago and sure enough he jumped a deer and blasted off. 4 miles of tracking and lost the blood trail.

Never again.

Unless you are really good at judging distance, just use a slug.

Although bad shots are bad shots....
    It is very good in areas where you cannot see a deer beyond the limited range of buckshot.

There is one piece of bush I hunt with my dad, when I push it I prefer buckshot (3 1/2" 00) until I get through the crap, lots of dog wood, the main reason for the buckshot is that my range is never more than 10 yards in there and it works well when you walk up on one moving fast. Get out of that stuff and switch over to slugs.

I have not shot the controlled wad stuff yet, the 3 1/2" loads do not pattern any better than the 2 3/4" stuff in my gun but they have more pellets in that same circle, if the turkey loads prove anything then the Federal stuff with the flight control wad will be spectacular out of any more open choke, it actually has more of an open pattern with tighter chokes in the turkey loads.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Yup that makes sense.

Nothing is walking away in 10 yards.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Nothing wrong with buckshot.......................for home defense.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast