User Info Menu

Default A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update

798 Highway 59
    Port Rowan, Ontario
    N0E 1M0

September 24, 2017

Re: A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Further to my continuing correspondence with representatives of the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS), Delta Waterfowl Foundation (DWF), Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH), Manitoba Wildlife Federation (MWF), Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation (SWF), The Trumpeter Swan Society (TTSS) and other interested individuals I prepared a new Tundra Swan fact sheet earlier this year titled "A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update" that was distribution to the above mentioned organizations and several other interested individuals.

It should be noted that I prepared three (3) versions of this Tundra Swan fact sheet ... one specifically for distribution to Delta Waterfowl members, one specifically for distribution to OFAH members and a generic version that could be modified for distribution to MWF members and SWF members at a later date. I have suggested that the appropriate version of this Tundra Swan fact sheet could be published in the Delta Waterfowl magazine as well as in the Ontario Out of Doors magazine but I have not received a response from the editor and publisher (respectively) of these two (2) magazines.

Mr. J. Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) wrote to me on June 09, 2017 to advise me that the funds within The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation that had been "set aside" for the sole purpose of assisting the CWS in the implementation ($20,000.00) and monitoring ($4,000.00 annually for 20 years) of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season can not be accepted. He further advised me that the cost of implementing such a season would be with funds within the CWS budget and that the cost of monitoring such a season would be with funds generated by the sale of migratory bird permits ... which would obviously include the proceeds from the sale of the Tundra Swan tags. Consequently he suggested that I consider other options by which I could contribute to waterfowl conservation and to the tradition of waterfowl hunting in Canada.

My original pledge to the CWS following the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation in December of 2010 was for an initial grant of $10,000.00 pertaining to the province of Ontario with two (2) additional grants of $5,000.00 pertaining to the provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan that would be added at a later date as well as an additional $4,000.00 annually for twenty (20) years. My total pledge to the CWS was for $100,000.00 over a twenty (20) year period.

Consequently, after giving due consideration to Mr. J. Hughes' suggestion included in his letter, I have offered the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters a one-time grant of $10,000.00, the Manitoba Wildlife Federation a one-time grant of $5,000.00 and the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation a one-time grant of $5,000.00 as well as the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters an additional annual grant of $2,000.00, the Manitoba Wildlife Federation an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 and the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years providing that these three (3) organizations promote and support our tradition of waterfowl hunting (in an ethical and sustainable manner) within their respective provinces. However the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

The various grants identified in the above paragraph represents a total of $100,000.00 that I had pledged to the CWS following the establishment of my charitable foundation which now has the slogan "More Than Just Ducks" attached to it.

I have also offered a one-time grant of $10,000.00 to the Delta Waterfowl Foundation as well as an additional annual grant of $2,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years. These grants represent additional funds beyond the $100,000.00 that I had pledged to the CWS following the establishment of my charitable foundation. The same terms and conditions would apply to these grants.

I have also offered The Trumpeter Swan Society (TTSS) an annual grant of $2,000.00 (minimum) for the purpose of promoting and improving Trumpeter Swan identification in Canadian jurisdictions that have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

Every waterfowler interested in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season should contact their respective "waterfowl" and hunting organization to express their interest in such a season. You may have to remind them that the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hunt Ontario
    Waterfowl Forum
    A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update
    Post # 01, Part B
    October 09, 2017

Further to my letter of May 12, 2015 I thought that it may be appropriate to provide a Canadian Tundra Swan Season review and update for those who may be interested.

The hunting of swans in North America has been an accepted custom and practice by the aboriginal peoples of Canada and the United States for centuries. Furthermore "white" settlers from Europe hunted swans in Canada since 1615 when Samuel de Champlain surveyed what would be known as the colony of Upper Canada ... the Province of Ontario today.

There are two (2) native species of swans in North America.

These are the larger Trumpeter Swan (24 to 26 lbs) and the smaller Tundra Swan (16 to 18 lbs). The exotic Mute Swan was introduced to North America from Europe in the late 1800s.

The unregulated hunting of swans in North America continued until the signing of the Migratory Bird Treaty of 1916 between Canada and the United States.

This treaty is formally known as the "Convention between the United States and Great Britain (on behalf of Canada) for the Protection of Migratory Birds" but is commonly referred to as the "Migratory Birds Convention" in Canada and as the "Migratory Bird Treaty" in the United States.

The "Migratory Birds Convention Act" was passed on July 21, 1917 in Canada and the "Migratory Bird Treaty Act" was passed on July 03, 1918 in the United States.

The general hunting of swans in North America was essentially terminated by the signing of these two (2) Acts in their respective countries due to the diminished populations of the Trumpeter Swan and the Tundra Swan. However the Trumpeter Swan and the Tundra Swan are considered migratory game birds and the hunting of them is permitted under the treaty.

Consequently the recreational hunting of swans was suspended in Canada and the United States following the passage of these two (2) Acts until 1962 when a limited (tag only) season was opened for the western population of Tundra Swans and 1983 when a limited (tag only) season was opened for the eastern population of Tundra Swans.

The management plan for the eastern population of Tundra Swans has a goal to maintain a population of 80,000 swans. The current population (which was about 100,000 in 2010) is now over 100,000 swans and they are hunted in Montana (since 1983), North Carolina (since 1984), North Dakota (since 1988), Virginia (since (1988), South Dakota (since 1990) and New Jersey (standing authorization in 2010).

The management plan for the western population of Tundra Swans has a goal to maintain a population of 60,000 swans. The current population (which was about 80,000 in 2010) is now about 100,000 swans (up 25% since 2010) and they are hunted in Utah (since 1962), Nevada (since 1969), Montana (since 1970) and Alaska (since 1988).

However a General Swan season was established for Utah, Nevada and Montana in 1995 to permit the incidental harvest of a limited number of Trumpeter Swans as well.

Furthermore the Migratory Bird Treaty was amended in 1995 to address the rights of the aboriginal peoples in Canada and the United States ... permitting an official subsistence harvest.

The overall sustainable harvest of Tundra Swans has been established at 10% of the Mid Winter Population Count and is composed of a "recreational harvest" of 5% and a "subsistence harvest" of 5%. The actual annual "recreational harvest" is generally about 3.7% (including an estimated 20% cripple rate) based upon a mandatory reporting system and the annual "subsistence harvest" is estimated to be less than 5%.

The United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has been looking into the possibility of expanding swan hunting opportunities in the eastern portion of the United States since 2015 and more specifically ... a General Swan Hunt for the Atlantic Flyway that would permit the incidental harvest of a limited number of Trumpeter Swans as well.

It is unfortunate that the Americans are considering expanding their swan hunting opportunities while Canadians (with the exception of the Canadian Wildlife Service) idly remain complacent with the "status quo" of no swan hunting opportunities north of the border.

Maintaining the current inequitable "status quo" is not acceptable and every waterfowler should at least agree with this aspect of this topic.

Every waterfowler interested in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season should contact the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) to express their interest in such a season.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hunt Ontario
    Waterfowl Forum
    Post # 01, Part C
    October 09, 2017

Further to my recent posts on "Tundra Swan Permits Have Increased" that were in response to some negative comments I am providing the following points for your due consideration:

1) If you do not support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada (this initiative is no longer confined to the Province of Ontario) then please refrain from posting your negative comments. However if you have a concern or an opinion that you wish to share ... that is fine.

2) If you support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada then please contact the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS), Delta Waterfowl Foundation (DWF), Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) and your local hunting club to express your support for such a season.

3) The position of the various "waterfowl" and wildlife organizations regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada (based upon my correspondence and discussions with them) is somewhat varied and apparently contradictory in some cases. However I am currently waiting for a response from these organizations regarding my recent proposal to them.

4) The CWS has been very supportive of my Tundra Swan proposal from the onset. Mr. J. Hughes (Head, Population Management, CWS) told me during a telephone conversation in September of 2010 that we will never have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada until someone like me asks for one. Consequently, after reviewing the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans that was provided to me by the late Dr. D. Ankney (Chairman, Scientific Advisory Board, Long Point Waterfowl), I submitted my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario in October of 2010. This proposal along with the additional supporting documentation (that I provided to the CWS early in 2011) was posted on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum. The CWS subsequently conducted a Tundra Swan Season Assessment (between April of 2011 and August of 2013) that fully supported (from a biological perspective) a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. This Tundra Swan Season Assessment was posted on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum. The CWS is currently conducting a review of the Migratory Birds Regulations (MBR) since 2015 that will include a mechanism to permit a limited (tag only) season of a migratory game bird ... which would include the Tundra Swan and the Sandhill Crane. This review should be completed shortly.

5) I presented my Tundra Swan proposal along with supporting documentation to the members of the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (LPWA) at our Annual General Meeting in the spring of 2011. The Board of Directors declined to support my Tundra Swan proposal at that time but 20% of the members completed and returned the Tundra Swan survey that I had distributed at the meeting. Approximately 85% of the respondents expressed a total support for my Tundra Swan proposal and the remaining 15% of the respondents expressed a conditional support for it. Please note that this survey did not mean that 80% of the members did not support my Tundra Swan proposal but only that they did not complete and return the survey that they had received.

6) My brother who is a Chartered Accountant told me in 2011 that his colleague was elected as the President of Ducks Unlimited Canada and suggested that I contact him regarding my Tundra Swan proposal. I subsequently met Mr. T. Worden (President, Ducks Unlimited Canada) at a LPWA fund raiser in the fall of 2011 and later provided him with copies of my Tundra Swan proposal along with some substantial supporting documentation. Although he thought that the contents of my Tundra Swan proposal and supporting documentation was interesting he advised me that my Tundra Swan proposal was beyond the mandate of Ducks Unlimited Canada ... in other words they neither supported nor opposed my Tundra Swan proposal.

7) I suggest that everyone should read Mr. M. Sonnenberg's article on Tundra Swans and a potential Tundra Swan season that was published in the Simcoe Reformer on March 15, 2013. It includes some interesting comments by Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl) and Mr. M. Kunkel (Norfolk Chapter, Delta Waterfowl). He reported that Dr. S. Petrie estimated that approximately 10% of hunters (I suspect that he meant waterfowlers) would like a Tundra Swan season and that Mr. M. Kunkel stated that the members of the Norfolk Chapter would support a Tundra Swan season if it was sustainable ... which the CWS has confirmed.

8) The pledge that Delta Waterfowl has made to its members, as stated in the "Life Member Commitment" application form that Dr. F. Rohwer (President, Delta Waterfowl) sent to me, includes the commitment to "influence public policy" as well as to "preserve and promote hunting as an integral part of waterfowl management". Consequently I submit to you that Delta Waterfowl can not "remain silent on the swan hunting issue" before us in Canada (as Dr. F. Rohwer has advised me).

9) The OFAH has consistently and repeatedly stated that it will not accept the "status quo" regarding hunting and fishing issues yet it would appear that the OFAH has accepted the current inequitable "status quo" regarding a potential Tundra Swan season in Canada. This apparent contradiction is not acceptable and every waterfowler should at least agree with this aspect of this topic. However it should be noted that the OFAH staff was not opposed to a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada (as per our telephone conference call last summer) but would like such a season (if implemented in the future) to be done right. I agreed with them.

10) The Manitoba Wildlife Federation has expressed an interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada and is currently reviewing my submission to them.

11) The Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation has recently advised me that they have supported a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada (based upon the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment) for the last few years.

12) The Trumpeter Swan Society has stated that they are not against the hunting of Tundra Swans and has stated that they would review a CWS proposal to implement such a season in Canada (as per my personal correspondence with the Executive Director and the President).

13) I have previously offered a one-time special grant of $10,000.00 to both Delta Waterfowl and the OFAH for the purpose of producing a Swan Identification Guide or Swan Identification Course but neither of these two (2) organizations responded to my offer at the time.

14) I have also offered an annual grant of $2,000.00 to The Trumpeter Swan Society to promote swan identification in Canadian jurisdictions that have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

In closing I suggest that anyone who has a better idea on promoting swan identification present it to the appropriate organization(s) with the appropriate funding to implement their idea.

Thank you for your continued support.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hunt Ontario
    Waterfowl Forum
    Post # 01, Part D
    October 09, 2017

Further to "Part C" which was drafted two (2) weeks ago this is to advise you that I have received a letter from Ms. D. Sucee (Fish and Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) dated September 25, 2017 regarding their latest discussions with the OFAH Migratory Birds/Wetlands Advisory Committee about this issue.

Ms. D. Sucee stated in her letter "The committee acknowledges there is merit in your proposal but the level of interest is still unknown".

I have requested over the last seven (7) years that you submit a letter of support expressing your interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to Mr. J. Hughes as the Head of Population Management, then as the Manager of Population Conservation and finally as the Manager of Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, Canadian Wildlife Service. Several individuals submitted letters of support (including e-mails) to Mr. J. Hughes over the years and some individuals provided me with a copy of their letter or e-mail for my file. However our representatives and the staff at the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters do not have any of this documentation indicating your support for such a season.

Consequently I am now requesting that all of you submit a letter of support (an e-mail is fine) expressing your interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to Ms. D. Sucee (Fish and Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) with a copy to Mr. J. Hughes (if you have not already done so) because the Canadian Wildlife Service would like to have the support from the hunting community before giving further consideration to the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

You may contact Ms. D. Sucee by regular mail (4601 Guthrie Drive, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 6Y3 or P.O. Box 2800, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 8L5), by telephone (1-705-748-6324 ext. 204), by fax (1-705-748-9577) and by e-mail (dawn_sucee@ofah.org).

You may contact Mr. Jack Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) by regular mail (335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3), by telephone (1-613-949-8259), by fax (1-613-949-8307) and by e-mail (jack.hughes@canada.ca).

I would greatly appreciate receiving a copy of your letter or e-mail as well for my personal file. You may contact me by regular mail (798 Highway 59, Port Rowan, Ontario, N0E 1M0), by telephone (1-519-586-9825), by fax (1-519-586-9825) if you call me first (any evening) and by e-mail (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com).

J. Katchin, D.V.M.
    Last edited by Buddy Boy; October 11th, 2017 at 11:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hello Guys,

I just posted an update on my thread "Tundra Swan Permits Have Increased" regarding the proposed changes to Tundra Swan hunting in the United States. These changes will increase the opportunities to hunt Tundra Swans utilizing our share of the available tags.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hello Guys,

There has been a recent development regarding this Tundra Swan initiative that you should be aware of now.

I received a letter from Mr. D. Crabbe (Executive Director, Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation) earlier this month stating that the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation supports the development of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as per the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was completed in August of 2013.

I have previously posted this assessment on this forum.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Boy View Post
    Hello Guys,

There has been a recent development regarding this Tundra Swan initiative that you should be aware of now.

I received a letter from Mr. D. Crabbe (Executive Director, Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation) earlier this month stating that the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation supports the development of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as per the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was completed in August of 2013.

I have previously posted this assessment on this forum.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.
    Maybe you should move to Saskatchewan , there you would then be happy!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

We were talking about it today at work - I'd love to try swan hunting. I hope someday we get a season. Please keep trying Jerome

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...EF&FORM=VRDGAR

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Update Jerome.
    Ignore the grouch.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STUBBLE BUM View Post
    We were talking about it today at work - I'd love to try swan hunting. I hope someday we get a season. Please keep trying Jerome

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...EF&FORM=VRDGAR
    I'm with ya, I think it would be awesome!
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Maybe you should move to Saskatchewan , there you would then be happy!
    am I missing something does Sask have a Swan tag system?
    Barry Keicks

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hello Guys,

Jaycee ... be nice ... it is Christmas ... all the best to you.

Stubble Bum, Great White and Sprite ... thank you for your continued support but please phone, e-mail or write to Ms. Dawn Sucee at the OFAH and express your support with a copy to Mr. Jack Hughes at the CWS ... they need to know.

Bardern ... not at this time but the CWS wants support from some major organizations before moving forward with this Tundra Swan proposal.

The following funds in The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation will be available to organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting starting in January of 2018. These funds may be used for any "waterfowl" related project or program. The term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

There will be a total of $30,000.00 available at the end of this year with another $8,000.00 available at the end of 2018, another $9,000.00 available at the end of 2019, another $10,000.00 available at the end of 2020 and so on ... increasing by $1,000.00 each year thereafter.

The first $30,000.00 has been set aside for Delta Waterfowl ($10,000.00), Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters ($10,000.00), Manitoba Wildlife Federation ($5,000.00) and Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation ($5,000.00). I am waiting to hear back from the other three organizations.

I have told the Board of Directors for Delta Waterfowl that to "remain silent" regarding this Tundra Swan initiative is to support the "status quo" which is to keep all the current 9600 tags in the United States and that is not acceptable ... not now ... not ever.

Please keep in mind that the USFWS will be increasing the number of tags by 25% or another 2400 tags as announced during the summer.

So please help make this proposal a reality.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hello Guys,

Jaycee ... be nice ... it is Christmas ... all the best to you.
    BAH- HUMBUG ! but if it turns your crank, have a "Good One "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast