Thread: Deer License and Tags

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Deer License and Tags

Hello... my group is having a bit of difficulty getting our heads around our licenses and our seals, etc. This is the scenario.

I applied for anterless deer tag in WMU 42 and I was selected. I received a deer license and seal for an anterless deer in the mail.

I also applied for a controlled deer hunt in WMU 89 and was selected and received a seal in the mail..

Do I need to purchase a deer license for WMU89?

Would the outcome be any different if I was unsuccessful in the anterless draw (2 people were unsuccessful and 1 was successful)?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

What you have is a deer licence attached to your seal which is valid for a buck anywhere in any WMU in Ontario (during the various open seasons) and valid for an antlerless deer in the WMU you applied for.

Your controlled hunt validation is not an extra seal, it's a validation for your original deer seal that allows you to hunt during the controlled hunt. Your licence (attached to your original seal) is good for the duration of the various deer seasons this year. You only need one licence, but you can't hunt deer on your own without a seal. Meaning if you use your seal before the controlled hunt, you have to "party hunt" off other group members' seals during the controlled hunt.

In short, you have one deer seal and one licence. Your deer seal is good for the validations you have applied for.

I don't have to apply to a controlled hunt here but that's my understanding of it. If it's inaccurate I hope someone will correct me.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Seems to make sense. So i have a deer license and a seal. That seal can be used for any of the following:

1. A buck anywhere in Ontario during open season

2. An antlerless deer in WMU42

3. An antlered or antlerless deer in WMU 89 during the controlled hunt

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

DId you apply for an ADDITIONAL Dear Seal? If not your Deer License is your seal

If you applied for Doe tag in area WMU 42, and you were selected, then your License, is good for a buc/doe in 42 and a buc only anywhere else.
    You applied for controlled in 89, then you would attach your License seal on a dear harvested there,
    You have one and one only dear seal.

The controlled is not a seal, it is allowing you to hunt during that season in that designated area.

I have no idea why on the yellow paper they refer to it as a seal,

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by berettaal391 View Post
    Seems to make sense. So i have a deer license and a seal. That seal can be used for any of the following:

1. A buck anywhere in Ontario during open season

2. An antlerless deer in WMU42

3. An antlered or antlerless deer in WMU 89 during the controlled hunt
    Correct if the controlled validation tag says antlered or antlerless.
    The controlled is a validation tag to hunt that season but requires a seal. As stated above if used before you can only party hunt. Some areas are antlered some are both but it will state it on the validation tag.
    Your deer seal came to you with your licence as you have to purchase when you apply for the antlerless. They then validated for antlerless in 42. Buck anywhere else.
    Last edited by Zmanzz; October 24th, 2018 at 03:27 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

thank you - hopefully follow up this post with some pictures

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymjt View Post
    DId you apply for an ADDITIONAL Dear Seal? If not your Deer License is your seal

If you applied for Doe tag in area WMU 42, and you were selected, then your License, is good for a buc/doe in 42 and a buc only anywhere else.
    You applied for controlled in 89, then you would attach your License seal on a dear harvested there,
    You have one and one only dear seal.

The controlled is not a seal, it is allowing you to hunt during that season in that designated area.

I have no idea why on the yellow paper they refer to it as a seal,
    hockeymjt,

You aren't exactly correct. Your deer license is not your deer seal. While they come attached in the mail, they are separate items. When the MNRF brought in the new license, there was much confusion as hunters mistakenly attached their deer license to the deer rather than the the seal (or tag). It used to be your deer license was a small, rectangular piece of paper with adhesive on the back which was placed on the back of your outdoors card next to your small game (and fishing licenses). In my opinion, this way was the easiest method as there was no confusion on which item was your license and your license and outdoors card were conveniently together if you where ever checked by a CO. I wish they would go back to that.

Dyth
    Last edited by Dythbringer; October 26th, 2018 at 09:03 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    hockeymjt,

You aren't exactly correct. Your deer license is not your deer seal. While they come attached in the mail, they are separate items. When the MNRF brought in the new license, there was much confusion as hunters mistakenly attached their deer license to the deer rather than the the seal (or tag). It used to be your deer license was a small, rectangular piece of paper with adhesive on the back which was placed on the back of your outdoors card next to your small game (and fishing licenses). In my opinion, this way was the easiest method as there was no confusion on which item was your license and your license and outdoors card were conveniently together if you where ever checked by a CO. I wish they would go back to that.

Dyth
    Youbetcha! This coming new system could even be worse.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Youbetcha! This coming new system could even be worse.
    Or it could be even better.