Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Moose Hunt results

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    CBC news eluded to a huge number of charges laid in Ontario during the moose hunt. The story was brief on the 7am newscast Monday morning (I thought I heard 360 charges but I was half asleep).
    I am trying to find out the factual number of charges laid at least for the Bancroft area.

But I agree with Trimmer we have to be careful to read the full story,take a look at this one.LOL

https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-...ontario-990924

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

political correctness at it's best!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    It sure worked for the Deer population when OMNRF went to the selective harvest system in the early 1980's. There's no reason to think it won't work for Moose,even for a 5 year term.
    Open season calf hunting, you have to expect that 50% of those as females, difficult to have any population growth when you kill off all those babies year after year.

I see deer every year, a lot more than what could be said for when my Dad started hunting in the late 70s.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

This is why the hunt for antlerless needs to close, people are shooting cows all over the place.

It sure worked for the Deer population when OMNRF went to the selective harvest system in the early 1980's. There's no reason to think it won't work for Moose,even for a 5 year term.

Wherever i read ,hear and know about moose and deer,there is a clear difference between deer and moose in this matter.Deer can and will readily colonize "empty"area,while moose having larger home range ,less density and slower reproduction rate,will not.Thus if we wipe out all bucks in an area,in few years other bucks from the neighboring areas will fill the void.Few years,all is back.This is what helped deer population rebound so fast.Moose will not do it so easily.We could end up having cows and cows and cows without bulls to mate with them.How the population would grow then????

Look at Quebec moose management-excellent example how to manage cow harvest with great success .

For Ontario real help would be total moose hunting ban for 3-5 years.For EVERYONE harvesting moose.
    Perhaps enhanced predator control(wolf and bear)at the same time would just up the ante.
    I love to hunt moose as much as the next guy-so i would be hurting too,but hey...........no pain,no gain.
    Last edited by gbk; November 2nd, 2018 at 09:17 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    [..... For Ontario real help would be total moose hunting ban for 3-5 years.For EVERYONE harvesting moose.
    Perhaps enhanced predator control(wolf and bear)at the same time would just up the ante.
    I love to hunt moose as much as the next guy-so i would be hurting too,but hey...........no pain, no gain.
    I have mentioned the same thing before, pretty much for the past ten years.
    Even after such temporary ban, if it ever happens, we will still need better management than what we have now.
    As Fox mentioned above, you can't kill off the babies year after year and expect a population growth! No pain, NO GAIN.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Closing the season for the regulated hunter will do nothing for the moose population unless it’s closed for everyone. Good luck with that.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wanShinobi View Post
    Closing the season for the regulated hunter will do nothing for the moose population unless it’s closed for everyone. Good luck with that.
    Definitely a very hard thing to do, but if all groups get together and come to a sensible agreement, then there just might be hope for the future generations. Human greed aside, most people of any tribe do want a good future (at least) for the next generation of their own kind

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I can't help but think the MNR would be opposed to closing the moose hunt when they are trying to reduce moose numbers in areas like 21A and 18A to increase caribou numbers, they don't want moose to populate those areas.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If this "ban"will never be considered-eventually never tried out, how it would fly........how we will know how it would be taken by "all"involved in moose harvest.
    The proof is in pudding.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234