Thread: Labrador retrievers; demography, mortality and disorders

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Labrador retrievers; demography, mortality and disorders

Nice to know when considering the bred ;

This study of over two thousand Labrador retrievers provides important disorder information on the general population of Labrador retrievers. The most common disorders in Labrador retrievers were otitis externa, overweight/obesity and degenerative joint disease. Otitis externa and pyo-traumatic dermatitis were less prevalent in black dogs yellow dogs than in chocolate dogs. Chocolate dogs had a significantly shorter lifespan than non-chocolate dogs. These results provide a framework to identify health priorities in Labrador retrievers and can contribute positively to reforms to improve health and welfare within the breed.
    https://cgejournal.biomedcentral.com...575-018-0064-x

Post Article:

Chocolate Labradors die sooner than the other kinds: study
    https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...er-kinds-study
    Last edited by MikePal; October 25th, 2018 at 05:57 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The problem with the study is that there no health base line on the dogs in the study.

Joint degenerative joint disease is noted as one of the top three disorders. There is nothing noted in the study as to whether the sires and dams of the dogs included, had had health clearances (hips and elbows) and whether they should have been bred in the first place. If dogs with questionable hips were included in the study dog breeding pool, obviously you were have a higher incidence of potential joint issues. The reason why you will hear people "harp" on ensuring any potential breeding you are looking at a minimum health clearance on the hips and elbows (eyes, CMN, EIC are the others).

On the two top disorders, I cannot comment on the otitis externa as fortunately in the 50 plus years of owning labs (family dogs growing up and our personal dogs) this has never been an issue. And IMO for obesity to be included is questionable as this is something that the owner is in complete control of.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt clubs)
    HRCH-UH GMHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH, HRCH-UH MHR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
    SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug SH WC, SR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post
    The problem with the study is that there no health base line on the dogs in the study.

Joint degenerative joint disease is noted as one of the top three disorders. There is nothing noted in the study as to whether the sires and dams of the dogs included, had had health clearances (hips and elbows) and whether they should have been bred in the first place. If dogs with questionable hips were included in the study dog breeding pool, obviously you were have a higher incidence of potential joint issues. The reason why you will hear people "harp" on ensuring any potential breeding you are looking at a minimum health clearance on the hips and elbows (eyes, CMN, EIC are the others).

On the two top disorders, I cannot comment on the otitis externa as fortunately in the 50 plus years of owning labs (family dogs growing up and our personal dogs) this has never been an issue. And IMO for obesity to be included is questionable as this is something that the owner is in complete control of.

Great post!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Funny my choc. was run in trails and hunted and he made it to 14 but he did have a bad knee in the end

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by overtheir View Post
    Funny my choc. was run in trails and hunted and he made it to 14 but he did have a bad knee in the end
    One of our choc. lived to the grand old age of 17, he did not have any health issues what so ever , he was a big strong good looking boy all his life.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post

In addition to the excellent post above, I also wonder what the quality of dogs studied was like from the chocolate breeding standpoint versus the others. Not only are there "breeders" out there that do not do genetic testing, there are also "breeders" out there who breed solely for colour. If these two aspects overlap, and a litter was bred where neither the sire nor dam had genetic testing and the only reason for breeding the pair was because they were chocolate, the quality of the litter is suspect at best. As someone who prefers chocolate dogs, I'm not into just any ol' chocolate. Any breeding should have plenty of planning put into it. A breeding that takes place should be to BETTER the breed as a whole. Any study is going to be conducted with some sort of bias and there is not enough information provided regarding the sample pools for me to place a lot of stock in their apparent findings.
    Last edited by BurlyGirl; October 31st, 2018 at 08:21 PM.
    HR UH Wyckoff's RedRooted Mud Puppy JH WCX RN - Reba
    HR Markwell's Ups A Daisy JH WCI RN - Jada
    HR UH Tullamore's Gunsablazing CGN CDX SH WCX - Burly (2003-2017)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My chocolate is 11 now. Hes starting to show his age, has knee problems as his legs shake when he stands but hes still his happy self and gets all fired up when he sees me carrying a gun
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Elite Member

User Info Menu

My boy is 11 tomorrow. He definitely getting old like me. We have good days and bad days. Only had him out twice hunting this fall and you would have thought he was 5 again. Look retrieves, treading water waiting for the bird to come back up.