Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Changing from Oil to Natural Gas Heating - Help

  1. #1
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default Changing from Oil to Natural Gas Heating - Help

    I've been on oil since I bought the house, and have decided to change to natural gas. I wont go in to details why other then new regulations and insurance it's become a hassle. Gas is on the street and I have a price to run gas to the house.



    So what I'm looking for someone with experience who has done this and what I should be aware of as far as hidden problems or issues. Things like removing the old furnace and oil tank.


    Thank you in advance


    IFH

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Make sure they remove the outside oil fill pipe
    Have heard horror stories of people switching over and new oil delivery guy gets wrong address and pumps oil into basement through the fill pipe


    “When government becomes a law breaker, it breeds contempt for law”

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IFH View Post
    I've been on oil since I bought the house, and have decided to change to natural gas. I wont go in to details why other then new regulations and insurance it's become a hassle. Gas is on the street and I have a price to run gas to the house.



    So what I'm looking for someone with experience who has done this and what I should be aware of as far as hidden problems or issues. Things like removing the old furnace and oil tank.


    Thank you in advance


    IFH
    Don't mess with that stuff yourself unless you're a qualified gas fitter. There's many good local contractors that will do the job from the street to hook-up and install including dealing with the bureaucracy if need be. It won't be cheap,but,it will pay for itself quickly.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

  5. #4
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks js4fn the heads up, would that ever be a mess.

    Thanks trimmer21 that is my plan is to get qualified contractor what I'm looking for is things I should ask about and not be aware of. There are a couple of locale contractors who will be giving me a price and would prefer to deal with.
    Last edited by IFH; October 27th, 2018 at 06:49 PM.

  6. #5
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    In the long run it will more than pay for itself. The contractor that did mine removed the old furnace and tank. I switched over to a gas water heater as well verse's electric and that as well has more than paid for itself. It was costing me more than double what I am paying now to heat the house and water for the entire year...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

  7. #6
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I just went through this. My furnace was hooked up late Sept. The longest process was having Enbridge install the gas line from the road in, and connect a meter. It was not cheap, 7K to be exact. My contractor took care of the old furnace when he installed the new one. As far as the oil tank, not sure. I also had him install a rough in for the hot water tank, and BBQ. It was dirt cheap for the extra, as he already had everything apart. The biggest concern this time a year of course is the fact you may have no heat for at least one day, maybe two. Second, Enbridge needs to inspect the contractors work before they unlock the meter. Could be delays. My contractor worked for cash, got a good price, I was all in @12.5K. It may sound like a lot, but I would never be able to sell the house with a 25 yr old electric furnace. As far a surprises. Have the contractor come over before hand and pre-measure everything, then, if he can pre- make as much duct work or connections before he starts the project. I am happy that i did it, not to see how much I can save from hydro.

  8. #7
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks Bo D for confirming what I've heard about savings. I will be looking at a water heater and maybe a gas range in the future.

    Hello waterrat, I have been in contact with Enbridge and got a price to for the gas line $900. Guess I should get the order placed if it takes so long to get this done. Was told once the line and meter are installed I have 6 months to put the furnace in or they will bill me $5000 as they are subsidizing the installation. Too bad I didn't start this in June.

  9. #8
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Being a licensed guy. It is in the code that oil supplier must be notified in writing of the change. This is how the code reads.

    When the installation or conversion of an appliance constitutes a conversion from another form of energy,
    the installer shall advise the user of the appliance, at the time of installation or conversion, to have the
    former form of energy either removed or left safe and secure from accidental activation. For example, the
    user shall be advised
    (a) in the case of a fuel oil supply tank
    (i) to remove the fill pipe, and cap or plug the exposed fill pipe opening to an inside tank;
    (ii) to shut off the tank outlet valve, remove the filter, and plug or cap the valve outlet; and
    (iii) where the tank is located outdoors, to disconnect all exposed piping or tubing, and cap or plug
    the piping or tubing as close as practicable to the tank;
    (b) in the case of a fuel oil central distributing system
    (i) to shut off the fuel oil supply line valve located within the building; and
    (ii) to disconnect the fuel oil supply line immediately downstream of the meter, and cap or plug the
    outlet of the meter;

    Will be way cheaper and less hassles going forward to run gas appliances. You already have a ductwork system so just need a furnace and hot water tank. Which you should do cause it's cheaper than electric tank. That would be somewhere between 5-10 k depending on how fancy of a furnace. Bring a 1" line from the meter to the furnace room to allow for sufficient gas in future. Bbq, tankless hot water, dryer fireplaces, etc.

  10. #9
    Hedgehog

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IFH View Post
    Thanks Bo D for confirming what I've heard about savings. I will be looking at a water heater and maybe a gas range in the future.

    Hello waterrat, I have been in contact with Enbridge and got a price to for the gas line $900. Guess I should get the order placed if it takes so long to get this done. Was told once the line and meter are installed I have 6 months to put the furnace in or they will bill me $5000 as they are subsidizing the installation. Too bad I didn't start this in June.
    adding to what waterrat said, get the fitter to run a gas line ( if even for future ) hot water tank, BBQ and we also have our stove and dryer on gas as well.

  11. #10
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG MAC View Post
    adding to what waterrat said, get the fitter to run a gas line ( if even for future ) hot water tank, BBQ and we also have our stove and dryer on gas as well.
    Thanks DUXX and BIG MAC. This is the sort of information I'm looking for.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •