Thread: Road Trip

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Road Trip

Hey All!

So, Iím doing a last minute deer hunt. I was going to go to Bancroft area (MNR recommended it to me). But after talking to people that do, it doesnít peak my interest. Iím used to bow hunting deer, but the propert was sold so Iím desperate.

Wondering if anyone can suggest any other areas? Iím looking at maybe North Bay, North on highway 11. I donít know much about the area but looking at google maps/crown land atlas... I have more options. Willing to drive 10 hrs have 12 days off for another hunting trip (successful moose hunt in wawa this year).

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My buddies wive ( and her large family of hunters) is from the Bancroft area....lots of deer, great place to fill a tag.....maybe being a local makes it better. But then that would be true anywhere you go.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    My buddies wive ( and her large family of hunters) is from the Bancroft area....lots of deer, great place to fill a tag.....maybe being a local makes it better. But then that would be true anywhere you go.

Yeah I have some friends that hunt up that way. I was attracted to the idea because the starting date. But I read it’s over hunted and people block roads even on crown. I deal with enough bs in NW for moose ... if I can’t find anything else I’ll
    def go. I’ll do my best to add a write up of the experience.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Be warned, there is a point not terribly far north of North bay where deer become very few and far between, if they are there at all. Its not southern ON, and patterning them in a short time frame maybe near impossible.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WranglerWild17 View Post
    Yeah I have some friends that hunt up that way. I was attracted to the idea because the starting date. But I read it’s over hunted and people block roads even on crown. I deal with enough bs in NW for moose ... if I can’t find anything else I’ll
    def go. I’ll do my best to add a write up of the experience.
    Crown land in that area is definitely busy. I usually swing through the Lake St.Peter/Whitney area once during the gun hunt. The only advice I can offer is to find a quiet spot just off a bush road or trail and sit down. Don't wander around because the area is full of organized camps. You're bound to run into someone and they won't be pleased to see you. Although there isn't anything they can really do about except whine and bi**h,they'll be sure you don't see anything,but,if you pick a decent vantage point and let the locals do the work for you,you'll connect. Field dress,drag and leave the area. Most of the time,the locals won't realize it until after you're long gone. I've used this method for decades with a fair amount of success after the gang is gone from camp and I have an unfilled tag. Good luck this year.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Proud supporter of OFAH,CCFR,NRA,A.F.& A.M. and Shriners Children's Hospitals.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Crown land in that area is definitely busy. I usually swing through the Lake St.Peter/Whitney area once during the gun hunt. The only advice I can offer is to find a quiet spot just off a bush road or trail and sit down. Don't wander around because the area is full of organized camps. You're bound to run into someone and they won't be pleased to see you. Although there isn't anything they can really do about except whine and bi**h,they'll be sure you don't see anything,but,if you pick a decent vantage point and let the locals do the work for you,you'll connect. Field dress,drag and leave the area. Most of the time,the locals won't realize it until after you're long gone. I've used this method for decades with a fair amount of success after the gang is gone from camp and I have an unfilled tag. Good luck this year.

Well I appreciate that response. Iíve dealt with those kind of folks for 15 years moose hunting. Good thing our group is extremely polite and helps everyone when needed. So, hopefully since ill be alone I wonít be such a ďthreat.Ē Iíll take your advice about sitting on a spot letting the others do the work lol.

Really appreciate it. If I get lucky Iíll make a post on what I did.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Lots of deer up Hwy 129, and lots of land.
    From about snowshoe creek north you will not find too many people. Watch your regulations and make sure you are were you think you are. You'll touch four WU's from Hwy 17 to the falls.

Stop at the Swift Rapids store and get Topo maps. You will be surprised how many interconnected roads there are that you can drive in a car.
    Hint....get the maps and head north out of Swift Rapids on the back roads, you'll avoid 90% of the weekend road hunters that drive 129. And carry spare gas..
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Bancroft has too much non regulated hunting going on in that area...…...just sayin
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government