Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer activity in rainy weather

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

saw 18 turkeys and 7 deer today while there was a light drizzle of rain. all actively feeding on my soybean stubble.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I should add that thru the years I found that wind dies down at dusk (usually) ...so if it's been windy all day, the deer become more active at dusk because they haven't eaten all day and need to move about.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input! I appreciate the info. I agree with what was said even though my personal experience doesn't correlate with it. Will hunt in the rain as I did before.
    Thanks!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

As everyone has said already rain, snow etc in my experience has never been a major issue unless it’s just absolutely pissing out. Even then they very well could be movin. But I had headed for home by then. High wind is really the only enemy when it comes to
    Movement. It throws them off and they have survived as a species for as long as they have because they know they get eaten by a lot of things in the woods so they just hunker up and until they feel that the cards are stacked a bit better in their favour. Don’t over think it much. A deer is an animal and will come and go whenever it pleases really. Maybe he goes here today maybe there tomorrow who knows. Just get out there and enjoy yourself. Rain sucks but it’s all part of it. Best of luck mark and as always everyone else.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

My biggest buck came middle of day in a severe rainstorm, I mean severe... My gang decided to go to town for lunch and I threw on the rain gear went out still hunting. Walked right up on the big guy bedded down in edge of swamp, never knew I was there. When it rains I turn to still hunting and cover a lot of ground verrrry slowly... A few steps, stop and look. Keep an eye under small cedars, pines which provide a canopy from the rain. This buck I shot was on a small pod of hard ground in the swamp edge with a little pine tree, when he died and sprawled both his head and rear legs were in the water. And if you are in a high pressured camp area I believe your chances are better as most guys sit around camp drinking the rain away and the deer don't have the pressure and travel. And looking in my area 41 next week, Monday, Tuesday , wednesday calling for rain... Raingear is packed.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    So what about high wind? In your opinion haw it affects the deer behavior?
    10 years hunting our team always shot at least 1 deer opening morning. Except last year which was a horribly windy opening day with wind gusts up to 60km/hr. Our group of 8 didn’t even see one.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have noticed ,if there is a single pine or spruce on high ground. Quite often that old buck will be bedded, down under it. Snow and rain will be shed off it. They can see in every direction , and will slip away before you get close. In high wind they are more apt to be bedded in thicker cover. old 243

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I've shot deer in the rain not the most pleasant time to hunt but they are definitely active as long as it's not to windy

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Looks like most of us hunting in the rifle opener are going to test this "hunting in rain theory". WMU 49 is showing rain Monday thru Wednesday
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Just starting out

User Info Menu

If I am going to still hunt I prefer a drizzly or foggy morning. Fog seems to deaden sound pretty good if you can move slowly, and the wet leaves don't make as much noise as the crispy corn-flake ones. Make less noise = see more deer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast