Thread: New Hunter Experience

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default New Hunter Experience

So this fall marks the first time I have ever entered the woods as a hunter. The month of October was busy but I did manage several trips and logged probably well over 100 km of walking. There was some ground blind time as well.
    From what I understand the fall turkey hunt is a challenging one ( and it turned out to be just that for me ). Although I left empty handed, every trip to the bush never failed to leave a smile on my face. I never saw any birds except for the night I busted up a roost ( a roost that i didn't know was a roost lol ).
    I cant help but wonder if the lack of success actually increased my determination to be a hunter ( it certainly gave me time to work on my techniques ).
    Anyways.... now i can switch my focus to the deer hunt.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Anytime in the woods is a great time...

Did you keep any kind of journal or record of your experiences? Iíve found it helpful to be able to build on prior experience by keeping a record....

Stay at it and good luck...I was skunked this year for fall turkey as well and Iíve harvested lots over the years, spring and fall...no two seasons are ever the same....

TurkeyJohn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

We all go through what you have experienced. You won’t learn anything from a quick success even though we wish for one once and a while lol you learn more from your failures. Keep at it and sooner or later it will all come together. Good luck
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I don't specifically hunt Turkeys in the fall but I really should have bought a tag. They were all around me while I was deer hunting. I moved around in the stand & they could care less that I was there...lol

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I can't believe we didn't connect this year. Until last weekend I was running a mentoring program in Ottawa. I had to stop it, as I am going for surgery. But will be back at it Jan. Give me a shout then and we can get out for some hunts.

Mark 613-863-5483

Quote Originally Posted by firedeptlt View Post
    So this fall marks the first time I have ever entered the woods as a hunter. The month of October was busy but I did manage several trips and logged probably well over 100 km of walking. There was some ground blind time as well.
    From what I understand the fall turkey hunt is a challenging one ( and it turned out to be just that for me ). Although I left empty handed, every trip to the bush never failed to leave a smile on my face. I never saw any birds except for the night I busted up a roost ( a roost that i didn't know was a roost lol ).
    I cant help but wonder if the lack of success actually increased my determination to be a hunter ( it certainly gave me time to work on my techniques ).
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks guys... as much as I wanted to tag out I think the experience was more valuable at this point.
    Mark.... remember that pic I texted you of my car in the field.... that spot you said to check out... turns out I found some moose sign of all things in that area.... huge pile of scat too.... never would have guessed one to be in there...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

72752629-DDCA-4419-87A2-6D1951491CA9.jpg862C8622-857B-4338-84B0-42C409265A1E.jpg3E1D3A7B-DC56-4CE3-967D-5F653D052B06.jpgA3166B43-C92D-4A0F-B114-50AEE484ACF0.jpgSo.... just got back from checking one of my trail cams ( primary location for deer this fall and first area I set up for turkey ) and what do think was all over the place yesterday ? Yuuuup.... the only thing I can take away from this is that all of my scouting, research and hunches were correct...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Well done, enjoy it for me...
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

First off, welcome to the forums and please keep posting about your experiences!
    Hunting wild turkey in the spring time is truly an addictive activity, and many of us live for those five weeks during April and May.
    In the fall however, most guys get busy with waterfowl, small game, upland birds, moose, deer.... and nobody pays much attention to them turkeys at this time! I am one of those guys who normally doesn't purchase a fall tag, and there is no open season where I often hunt big game anyway.
    That being said, if you have an open season and birds in front of your game cam, then more power to you! I am fairly certain that you will be successful in the same area next spring, and also in the fall of 2019. Just sit patiently and let them come to you.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Perserverance pays off

Quote Originally Posted by firedeptlt View Post
    My hunting partner and I logged a combined 115 hours in our blinds to see 3 deer and fill 2 tags. In difficult weather to say the least. You got to be committed!