Thread: Controlled hunt?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Controlled hunt?

Haven't seen much in the way of success during the controlled hunt. Anyone having any luck?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'm not in a controlled hunt up here but it does seem to be quieter than I'd have expected. Lots of people driving around in trucks. I think the weather has played a huge role in keeping deer in the cover.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I had my shotgun bead on a does white flag but decided I didn't want to clean up a poop shoot. Other than that very quiet

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very quiet here in 81b. We only have one doe for 6 guys. We are usually bucks only til Wednesday and we have seen a few small bucks but no big ones. Last year we were done at this time and only shooting mature bucks. Any buck sign I see is old, scrapes have all gone cold and haven't seen any chasing. Either the big boys are locked down or these high winds have them keeping inside the deep swamps.

I let a little 8walk tonight, right at dark and not a great shot in some golden for and slash. This rain and 70km winds is horrible to hunt in though.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The weather has sucked big time, tomorrow is suppose to be nice,,,,
    Best of luck to all
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I know the one in front was taken on a neighboring property to where I sometimes hunt in 85B, but not sure how many they had altogether.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

91b awful hunting for the 4th year. There’s just no deer no tracks nothing each year seems worse then the last. 2 deer seen all week and managed to get one a decent buck. Used to be normal to see a dozen or so deer a day. Not sure what’s happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

All went well in 87C this year. I was in my stand 20 minutes before first shooting light. Sat in the rain for 2 hours then it let up. At 9:15 a 4 point buck moves in out of the forest from my right. After some squiggling for a right handed shot the Hornday SST took out both lungs and it dropped in its tracks at 60 yards. Then on Thursday the other gentleman that has permission to hunt the same property dropped a large bodied 8 pointer directly under his stand. I had forgotten how much work 1 deer is to process. Monday to shoot, field dress, drag out, drive home, hang in garage and skin. Tuesday was warm so had to butcher right away. Our favourite cuts are streaks, stewing/stirfry meat and burger. Wednesday to freeze the steaks and stewing meat and prep for sausage making. Thursday made 12 lbs. of breakfast sausage and 12 pounds of Oktoberfest sausage. Friday made 25 lbs. of summer sausage and then smoked it for 7 hours. Saturday was a rest day.
    Rick in Muskoka

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Hunted 77b, and skipped mon/tuesday due to weather. Wednesday sat two different locations and between 3 of us hunting didn't see anything, I attribute that to the insane winds. Thursday morning back in the stand before first light, only to receive an hour worth of rain and sleet. Once that cleared I did some rattling and about 10 minutes later a nice little 6pt came up the ridge out of the bottom and that was that.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

our group of 8 were lucky enough to tag out with 7 bucks and 1 doe despite a lot of standing corn and not the best of weather conditions