Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad weather and a 103 year old rifle, doe down

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Bad weather and a 103 year old rifle, doe down

The weather was really bad last evening so I decided to bring out the 103 year old Lee Enfield sporter, it is easier to take apart and clean than the other rifles I have in the cabinet.

Right around 4:30 I moved to check my phone and heard a loud splash, a drainage ditch is behind my stand, I thought I was busted. Sat tight in the tower stand kept my eyes open, 5ft from where I walked in and 5 yards from the stand pop out 2 does, 1 larger than the other. I slowly reached down, took off the safety and raised my rifle, the does crossed in front of me and started to walk away, hard quartering it, 1 shot at 25 yards took out the liver, 1 lung and the heart, she ran 40 yards and head first into a tree, done. This was my first deer in 3 years, our 2 year old was able to see the deer back at the camp but it was too wet and cold to drag her to where the deer dropped.

We decided to hunt the second week this year due to the activity last year, had Thursday and Friday off as well to hunt with my wife and uncle, things just came together tonight.

We had 2 antlerless tags but decided to only take 1 doe out of the herd unless my wife has a chance at her first deer. It is amazing how they will stick around after one of their buddies was shot, it did not look like a yearling at all, just too big, maybe last years fawn with mom but not this years at all.

1 down, hopefully we can catch up with a buck or two but we are only hunting with 4 people this year so 1 is a decent meat haul on its own.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Crazy she'd even make 40 yards eh! I think my uncle donated that gun to my father after a stint in the military. Unfortunately my stepmother sold it or gave it away!!! Sounds like you made great use of it. Congratulations!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My PH .303 sporter has yet to see any action, haven't even contemplated a deer thru the scope yet

Congrats, another 'monkey off the back' kill.. Good to hear guys filling tags.

Best of luck over the weekend !!
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nicely done Fox.

We haven't seen anything going to try a late morning to afternoon hunt as the bucks seem to be frequenting their scrapes at that point.

Your daughter is now 2??? Holy crap for some reason I still thought she was like 6 months.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Nice work fox great read.

Thanks for sharing any pics ?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Nice work fox great read.

Thanks for sharing any pics ?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    The only pics I have do not do the animal justice so I will keep them to myself.

It was windy with wet snow, my touch screen would not work with my frozen fingers, nasty east wind but the deer live in it so they are always around.

There was no blood trail either, the bullet entered high on the right and never exited the front leg on the left side, I saw it go down so I was happy.

Meat in the freezer, bucks now for the gang, all good.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Tasty doe is always good congrats
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

When I was a kid you could buy a 303 for anywhere from $5 to $10 at any army surplus store. I wish I'd kept the old Ross that I had as it'd be worth more than the $5 I paid for it. Even into the early 70's you'd find them in the field being carried by 1/2 the moose hunters around here. I haven't seen one used for decades now so great to see you revive the old girl for one more hunt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    When I was a kid you could buy a 303 for anywhere from $5 to $10 at any army surplus store. I wish I'd kept the old Ross that I had as it'd be worth more than the $5 I paid for it. Even into the early 70's you'd find them in the field being carried by 1/2 the moose hunters around here. I haven't seen one used for decades now so great to see you revive the old girl for one more hunt.
    I bought this one, or my dad did for me, for $35 in Waterloo, would have been between 1999 and 2003, I got it as a beater and used the open sights for years, never did get a shot with it on those drives. This past year I decided I would make it a backup gun for others to use when hunting with me, I got a cheapo plastic stock and a no smith scope mount (the barrel and metal is still all original). I mounted an old Tasco 3-9x40 I got on another rifle deal and sighted it in this year with Winchester Power Points., the crappy weather was the only reason I brought it out.

I hate when people say you need something new or that old guns are not safe or useful to shoot, this one is my oldest rifle but I have taken a turkey with a 1930s 16ga double, rabbits with a 1912 patent date stevens 16ga single, groundhogs with a 1940s 22LR trainer, age does not have any bearing on it as long as the metal is sound.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Nicely done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast