Thread: 2018 Hunt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default 2018 Hunt.

Did not expect much this year for the hunt,family sickness (wife) cut short any preparations for the hunt from mid August to just before opening.

I did not get a doe tag this year again,this I think is about the 5th year in a row in WMU 60.

Anyway opening morning on my gate stand near the township road, heard what I believed to be a buck trashing a tree on the other side of the road at

about 715am. I let out a single grunt call and wait. At 7.25am caught a movement out of the side of my right eye, see the back end of a deer move into

my bush on the near side of the road, I then see part of an antler and ear.I cant see the whole animal as their is brush in the way and a pine tree.

The head appeared to be down and he was scenting the area right where I went in.After about a minute he re appears briskly walking the way he came in.

Little chance for a good shot and I would have been shooting right towards the road.

I sat in the stand later that afternoon and just about 25 minutes to last light I got up and walked towards the cabin.I changed my mind about stopping
    and climbed up into a second ladder stand.Up there I see two branches in the way, had cutters with me,climbed down,cut down the branches.Sat back up.

On leaving I decided to clip the evergreen branches at the bottom of the stand for later cover use.Now its about 5 minutes left of legal time. I start walking back,clippers in left hand,gun over right shoulder.Guess what happens,I get about 25 yards,see a nice rack at the edge of the bush,it turns and is gone.LOL

Nothing on the Tuesday, except the Buck was probably still laughing

On Wednesday at 4.50pm I am back on the original stand, look over my right shoulder and there is a Doe fully exposed broadside,basically just in
    front of where the buck had hidden himself.She is stopped and really sniffing the air,no idea I am in the stand.She sniffs for about 15 minutes and
    eventually,real careful, enters the field.Once in the field she actually bolts of and returns in about 40 seconds.
    Could not figure her out and I then remembered puting some doe scent on a pad in the middle of the plot,think she was confused.Could easily have harvested this Doe.

The rest of the time pretty uneventful, I saw this doe another evening.She was in the field most nights along with at least one decent buck, but the bucks were now pretty much nocturnal.

I had a yearling bull moose come out to me on another stand at 4.40pm and I saw that Moose again the following morning at about 7.15am on my
    original stand.

I had a great time tracking the animals in the snow and learned a whole lot about how they used the property.I had an enormous black bear come by the cabin overnight on Thursday and Friday, probably within 100 yards of the cabin.The track would have been about 8inches across and I know the snow
    probably exaggerates the size,but it was a big bear.

Up my way the rut really got going on the Thursday/Friday of the first week, at one back stand there was about seven big fresh scrapes.

I only heard about 10 shots locally for the two weeks I would attribute to kills for the whole area.Very quiet and on the whole I would say from talking
    to neighbours very few deer in the area.No dogs running the bush this year at all.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good way to spend a week, deer or no deer...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

A terrible hunt for my wife and I on the boundary between the north end of 75 and 60. First time in close to 30 years that we didn't get at least one buck for the freezer. We hunted 12 of the 14 days, about 7 hrs per day. Lousy high winds for at least 3/4 of the days. Deer numbers way down over normal. 4 game cameras for over a month show the same. Almost every pulled SD card shows multiple coyotes on a daily basis. Usually see does with twin fawns. Now singles. I think the yotes are taking quite a few deer. We hunt about 500 acres of private land and usually have 10-12 does and fawns on the cameras. Down to two does and three fawns this year. Multiple chances to take a doe or fawn but we only shoot bucks. Nice to just sit and watch the deer. Saw a fisher and a few fox make their way through. Turkeys always fun to watch. Saw a Barred Owl tonight. First time in 35 years that I've used my Tundra snowmobile to access my blind! Really sad to see the situation with our grouse. It has to be west nile taking them out. Two of us saw absolutely zero birds in two weeks of travel. Not a single budding bird after the dump of snow. They are literally extirpated from our 160 acre property.
    Other shots heard is way down this year. I think it's time to buy my Tikka T3X .243 with Harris bipod and 4X12 scope. I'm going to also break out the RCRs and see if I can thin the coyotes down a bit. December ML hunt still to come. Hope to put at least one buck in the freezer!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

If there are tons of coyotes around you should shoot the odd one deer hunting.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

You guys have me thinking...
    We have four guys in camp for a week of hunting.
    It might be a great way to spend the last day of deer season trying to pick off a few yotes.
    Would give the lads some shooting ; cause candidly we really can't take a deer last day; get to the butchers; and get him back in time to head home.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    I only heard about 10 shots locally for the two weeks I would attribute to kills for the whole area.Very quiet and on the whole I would say from talking
    to neighbours very few deer in the area.No dogs running the bush this year at all.
    Pretty much sums up what we had around here (Northeast off Havelock in 60). Very few shots fired the entire 2 weeks. Saw plenty of does and fawns but they were acting weird, saw some behaviours that I have never seen before. Bigger bucks stopped showing up on the cameras completely about a week before the hunt and only reappeared about the middle of the second week. Lots of tags got used on spikes and forkhorns. Hopefully you get to do a little late season bow/muzzleloader hunting. There are still lots of bruisers out there, just have to coax them out of hiding.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Maybe this early extreme cold has something to do with it. .. Its the coldest November in the last 23 years . Could be a thought yes they like a little cold weather to get them going , but what if it's just too cold to fast for them.

Thanks for sharing your hunt gilroy maybe next year will pan out better.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    A terrible hunt for my wife and I on the boundary between the north end of 75 and 60. First time in close to 30 years that we didn't get at least one buck for the freezer. We hunted 12 of the 14 days, about 7 hrs per day. Lousy high winds for at least 3/4 of the days. Deer numbers way down over normal. 4 game cameras for over a month show the same. Almost every pulled SD card shows multiple coyotes on a daily basis. Usually see does with twin fawns. Now singles. I think the yotes are taking quite a few deer. We hunt about 500 acres of private land and usually have 10-12 does and fawns on the cameras. Down to two does and three fawns this year. Multiple chances to take a doe or fawn but we only shoot bucks. Nice to just sit and watch the deer. Saw a fisher and a few fox make their way through. Turkeys always fun to watch. Saw a Barred Owl tonight. First time in 35 years that I've used my Tundra snowmobile to access my blind! Really sad to see the situation with our grouse. It has to be west nile taking them out. Two of us saw absolutely zero birds in two weeks of travel. Not a single budding bird after the dump of snow. They are literally extirpated from our 160 acre property.
    Other shots heard is way down this year. I think it's time to buy my Tikka T3X .243 with Harris bipod and 4X12 scope. I'm going to also break out the RCRs and see if I can thin the coyotes down a bit. December ML hunt still to come. Hope to put at least one buck in the freezer!
    The coyote situation is pretty bad up my way,plenty of scat around and just after the Moose hunt in the fresh snow I saw tracks of three of tem travelling down the township road passing overnight.I did hear them calling at least once this past week.The grouse situation pretty poor, on all the days I sat and walked only saw two grouse.I don,t know if the Moose in my area are a factor in pushing out the deer or its a combination with the coyotes that are also protected about 1 mile west of my place in Chandos Township. My son is now taking up hunting and bought us a fancy coyote caller, I might try my hand at hunting them, I can tell you I have only seen coyotes about three times in the past 20 years up there.