Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molasses - should I bother?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Molasses - should I bother?

Got 150lbs of corn for ready to deploy and get serious with my deer hunts! Don't bother much with Oct and the first two weeks of Nov anymore... too much lead flying through the air.

Would you bother to mix in one molasses or s it a waste of effort? Never used it... does it bring in more?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Deer isn't the only thing it brings in. You may need a Bear tag if you're interested. Molasses is irresistible to them.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Not worth it for deer. Plain corn works fine. In some cases molasses even turns them off - usually when it starts to ferment.
    Last edited by Species8472; November 19th, 2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Halloween pumpkin and apples work's to

Quote Originally Posted by Splaker View Post
    Got 150lbs of corn for ready to deploy and get serious with my deer hunts! Don't bother much with Oct and the first two weeks of Nov anymore... too much lead flying through the air.

Would you bother to mix in one molasses or s it a waste of effort? Never used it... does it bring in more?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I've found that sometimes it will get them to hit the bait earlier but once they start coming you don't need it anymore. If there's a lot of deer in the area to begin with I wouldn't bother with it.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

my goats scream for it... i can see deer doing the same... :P

User Info Menu

I hunt Simcoe county ... not many bear here in general and especially at this time of year...

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

A lot of hunters like to use COB (corn,oats,barley) as a bait, it has molasses added. I use tube feeders, so I stick to straight corn, mostly for late season once the snow is down. Two bags will last last you a week or two depending on how many spots you decide to feed.
    Splaker if you do get some action on your cams and you want to try a special treat for cold weather get yourself a bag of rice bran pellets from a feed supply. 20% fat content, once the deer find it they're on it good, so are squirrels and jays. Use that to your advantage in setting up your stand. Good luck

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Molasses is a great attractant. Feed stores sell big jugs cheap. Think of mash potatoes....now add some gravy***insert drop the mike sound***

User Info Menu

thanks Smitty... will try that...never heard of rice pellets but worth a try! Just have too find it
    Last edited by Splaker; November 20th, 2018 at 06:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast