Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Looking for some constructive criticism

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by COYHUNTER View Post
    That the buck from my area on effingham road
    You got me there hughdog ..... but what about this one?

floral clock buck dec 2018.jpg
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikedinoro View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am a new hunter and I read a lot trying to learn from seasoned hunters and forums like this one. To make the intro story short, I researched as much as I could before heading into the woods.

I truly believe in boots on the ground, so I started scouting pre and during season. Found scrapes, deer trails, poop but failed to connect
    Last week I set some apples on a trail leading to an open field (a bit close to the road for my liking, but the tracks were so many....), I hunted the morning till 10:35 or so, then left to return at 2PM for the evening I found some apples gently chewed, and some were just gone (2 different but close sites) (deer or squirrel?)

I climbed into the stand above the trail 20yds or so, able to see the incoming and outgoing path to the field/woods
    I have an adjustable call, deer estrus, buck grunt, tried a combination of calls, every 15mins or so, estrus scent, quiet and still, but no cigar...

Been doing this for about 5 weeks...

What am I doing wrong?
    Should I go deeper in the woods (mix of conifers and birch)?
    Closer to the creek?
    I found a bedding area, but it seemed to be in a wide open area, so I assumed was a temporary stop, so I moved on

I treat this as I treated fishing when I started. I knew they were there, so I tried until I found what it worked.

I am looking for some constructive criticism from more knowledgeable hunters to better myself. I'll walk, scout, search, stalk as long as it needed
    I have the drive to do it, and I take pleasure in every outing, regardless of the outcome

My only sorrow at this stage, is that my son stopped joining me because I got nothing to teach him, as I am learning myself. Kids these days are looking for instant gratification... (sorry for the digression)

So, what do you guys recommend I change or do more of?

Any comments (including the mean ones) appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Mike
    Mike, you have all the best guys reply and give some amazing info to you, so I will mention some stuff for the kid!

I hunt with all my 4 boys often (2-15 y/o), and I have learned to make it fun for them, even if it hurts my hunt, because overall, I want them coming to hunting with me when they are out of the house. And note, I learned all this the hard way!

This is what worked for me:

- let them keep their electronics. They arenít as bored and it keeps them still. Essentially, they go into oblivion and raise their head for the exciting parts, the fish or the deer.
    -keep them comfy. Misery is a bit of the fun part for me, but for them itís not. I will carry the heavy chairs in so they are comfy, I will put them in a blind where they can see me sitting outside, and I carry extra socks/etc to ensure they are gtg.
    -I involve them in the hunt ďtext me if you see/hear anythingĒ. They love being involved, and they will be invested.
    - stop BEFORE they want to. If they say no, stay, but donít let it go too long. I will always walk with them after sitting. They love the sneaking part and looking for tracks, even though this is counteractive to getting deer, itís fun for them, and itís a great opportunity to teach them (and learn with them, when do we get to do that nowadays?!) about the wild.
    - celebrate the little things. We have killed deer and other game, but their favourite hunt was when we found a large shed! I make finding tracks exciting and celebrate it. It ensures we ďget somethingĒ every single time.

Best of luck with the kids, and the deer will come! My only ďdeer pointĒ, I was afraid to hunt near roads as it felt wrong, but thatís where the sign was. Last year me and my two oldest boys dropped a doe with my bow just past legal distance from a road while we were walking around because I didnít want them bored.

Best of luck! These guys gave you some awesome advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    You got me there hughdog ..... but what about this one?

floral clock buck dec 2018.jpg
    Thats a new one,,,,,,,,go get him
    It isn,t how you do it,its how you did it

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I hope you didn't give up. big bucks come out of the wood work in December. Once you stop hunting,it's time to scout to find trails and bedding areas.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    Go easy on yourself! You're doing just fine .... The experts on here have ALL been where you are. especially without a mentor.
    Cameras proved one thing ... you do have some deer there!
    Camera tips ... Make sure there isn't any branches or weeds or anything between the camera and the spot/trail where you expect the deer. If anything is - you will get flashback and whiteout like your videos show. If you're going to use video ... more is better. I run mine at 25 sec minimum. A pic is worth a thousand words. a video is 100,000 words. more info is better then less and more educational. Also your camera will have a preferred distance for night time pics. most are 12 to 15 feet. closer is whiteout - further is darker.

another thing to keep in mind about your spot. maybe the deer are nocturnal because it takes them that long to get to your bait from where they're bedding. After the next snow it might be worthwhile to backtrack a deers trail from your spot to where they're bedding. If they're bedding 1/4 or 1/2 mile away it's no wonder the pics are late. hence nocturnal. not the deers fault in this type of scenario. Having a bait right close (100 yds) to where they bed will give you the best chance at that last 30 minutes of legal - but you need to be stealthy quiet getting in.

anyway something to keep you motivated

Thank you sir!
    Last edited by mikedinoro; December 5th, 2018 at 08:31 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy836 View Post
    Mike, you have all the best guys reply and give some amazing info to you, so I will mention some stuff for the kid!

I hunt with all my 4 boys often (2-15 y/o), and I have learned to make it fun for them, even if it hurts my hunt, because overall, I want them coming to hunting with me when they are out of the house. And note, I learned all this the hard way!

This is what worked for me:

- let them keep their electronics. They aren’t as bored and it keeps them still. Essentially, they go into oblivion and raise their head for the exciting parts, the fish or the deer.
    -keep them comfy. Misery is a bit of the fun part for me, but for them it’s not. I will carry the heavy chairs in so they are comfy, I will put them in a blind where they can see me sitting outside, and I carry extra socks/etc to ensure they are gtg.
    -I involve them in the hunt “text me if you see/hear anything”. They love being involved, and they will be invested.
    - stop BEFORE they want to. If they say no, stay, but don’t let it go too long. I will always walk with them after sitting. They love the sneaking part and looking for tracks, even though this is counteractive to getting deer, it’s fun for them, and it’s a great opportunity to teach them (and learn with them, when do we get to do that nowadays?!) about the wild.
    - celebrate the little things. We have killed deer and other game, but their favourite hunt was when we found a large shed! I make finding tracks exciting and celebrate it. It ensures we “get something” every single time.

Best of luck with the kids, and the deer will come! My only “deer point”, I was afraid to hunt near roads as it felt wrong, but that’s where the sign was. Last year me and my two oldest boys dropped a doe with my bow just past legal distance from a road while we were walking around because I didn’t want them bored.

Best of luck! These guys gave you some awesome advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know everyone here has been great, and I am extremely thankful for all the advice. I actually feel like I am being mentored
    Thanks for tips for kiddo
    I know with hunting you either have it or not, but as you said, I'd love to share those moments in the nature with mine. Will try some of your tricks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I hope you didn't give up. big bucks come out of the wood work in December. Once you stop hunting,it's time to scout to find trails and bedding areas.
    Oh no , did not give up. Just applying some of the knowledge acquired. Not hunting per se, but getting movement through cameras, and will try to stealthy find the bedding, to bait closer and place new trail cams
    Letting this controlled hunt week pass

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345