Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Protecting Pickup Bed from rust

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I had the CTC spray job a few years back on my Silverado. That stuff leaked out from every crack and crevice for 3 years after. I'd never do it again. I also read where after market rust proofing can void a warranty probably due to drain holes getting plugged.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Myth.

I have my vehicles sprayed by Rust Check. A buddy is a Ford dealer principle and confirmed that warranty is not affected in any way.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Had linex done on truck in2009 best thing for it dragged lots of steel and other stuff across bed and never put a scratch in it . Also sprayed with crown do a complete spray every other year but underneath truck every year and before I spray it power wash inside box fenders to get any mud and cramp out of there then spray it. Touch up any bare spots on frame with undercoat also

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well if it doesn't rain Saturday I will be heading up to Chalk River and my buddy and I will weld the 6 small rust spots (I am a lousy welder). Once that's done I will get it Crowned and I'm going to use the DIY LineX stuff called Hercules (I contacted LineX here in Ottawa and it's 650). This product has very good reviews but it's a long process to apply it. everyone says about 1 hour to clean and sand truck bed, 3 - 4 hours to apply it first coating and than 8 + hours to dry, 2 - 3 hours for second coat and finally another 2 days before anything can go in the bed of the truck. Costs about 150.00 bucks.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

In my experience, prep work takes longer than application of the product, as is the case when doing bodywork and painting or mudding and painting drywall, etc.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Well if it doesn't rain Saturday I will be heading up to Chalk River and my buddy and I will weld the 6 small rust spots (I am a lousy welder). Once that's done I will get it Crowned and I'm going to use the DIY LineX stuff called Hercules (I contacted LineX here in Ottawa and it's 650). This product has very good reviews but it's a long process to apply it. everyone says about 1 hour to clean and sand truck bed, 3 - 4 hours to apply it first coating and than 8 + hours to dry, 2 - 3 hours for second coat and finally another 2 days before anything can go in the bed of the truck. Costs about 150.00 bucks.
    For the $650, it's hardly worth your time and effort, let alone considering how the final DIY project will turn out. If you're insistent on this truck lasting a long time, why not have a professional do it?

As with all of my trucks, I'd be having Line-X spray it. My last Sierra had Line-X down the entire side, including rockers and up and over the fenders. I paid the extra for the UV resistant stuff (won't fade), and had absolutely zero complaints. Stuff is tough as nails, and looked fantastic.

-Nick
    Last edited by Sprite; May 3rd, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123