Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 110

Thread: Deer, Corn and Combines

  1. #91
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    I know my gun. I know where my bullet is going.i pick my shots and will not take risks. I guess I'm too ethical for some around here. You know as well as I do how many deer are wounded because of it. Sure deer are wounded by slugs/rifles. Odds are much higher in recovering them. Always a better blood trail. Many assume a clean miss with buckshot. This seldom happens. It seems I find pellets in every 2nd or 3rd deer I butcher.
    If you are assuming a clean miss you should not be in the woods, you need to follow up every single shot.

    The deer I shot this year, 303 Brit, 25 yards away, quartering away hard, bullet entered the back ribs, took out the liver, one lung, the heart exited the chest and lodged in the off side knee, no blood at all, I watched it run and die, if you were only looking for blood you would have no idea you hit it or not.

    You say you know your gun, great, you should, but just because a guy is using buckshot does not define that they do not know their gun any differently than when a guy is asked what he shoots in a 30-06 he simply says 180gr, this means nothing.

    There are tons and tons of deer shot in the legs every single year with rifles and shotgun slugs, give your head a shake, these deer are not recovered, the odds of a deer having a front leg blown off by a shotgun slug or rifle round does not give it higher odds of recovery and anyone saying that has no clue what they are talking about.

    You do what you want to do but get your head out of your ***, you know as well as I do that deer are wounded by people who do not know their firearm and where it shoots, this is totally independent of that that firearm is shooting.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #92
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If you are assuming a clean miss you should not be in the woods, you need to follow up every single shot.

    The deer I shot this year, 303 Brit, 25 yards away, quartering away hard, bullet entered the back ribs, took out the liver, one lung, the heart exited the chest and lodged in the off side knee, no blood at all, I watched it run and die, if you were only looking for blood you would have no idea you hit it or not.

    You say you know your gun, great, you should, but just because a guy is using buckshot does not define that they do not know their gun any differently than when a guy is asked what he shoots in a 30-06 he simply says 180gr, this means nothing.

    There are tons and tons of deer shot in the legs every single year with rifles and shotgun slugs, give your head a shake, these deer are not recovered, the odds of a deer having a front leg blown off by a shotgun slug or rifle round does not give it higher odds of recovery and anyone saying that has no clue what they are talking about.

    You do what you want to do but get your head out of your ***, you know as well as I do that deer are wounded by people who do not know their firearm and where it shoots, this is totally independent of that that firearm is shooting.
    I'm talking about an animal hit in the body obiously. Love how you used that leg thing and ran with it! Funny how I have never found an old slug in any deer ive butchered. If you think slugs wound as many deer as buckshot (tons and tons lol) you need to pull your head out of your ! Read some of the other stories in this thread. I know 1 person who uses buckshot out of 20 or so guys I know because there are much better tools available. Especially with today's rifled barrels and sabots. Why would you limit yourself to such short distances. As for the blood trail comment. We always hunt from stands. Exit hole is lower than the entrance almost always producing some sort of blood! If not we do a grid search.

  4. #93
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    2 years ago I shot a buck with my crossbow I found a slug in a bucks back strap. It was a gross green mess around the bullet!!

  5. #94
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Slugs cause more meat loss than buckshot.
    Buckshot holes are almost impossible to see on a deer unless they are skinned.
    What does me missing a deer this week with my MZ have to do with this ridiculous debate?
    KK1, once you answer these questions, I am blocking you. I think you are ill informed.

  6. #95
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I think I may have posted this in an older thread on the same subject,but,some years ago, while skinning out a deer to ready for the butcher, I peeled the hide down to the head and found 6 "ooo" pellets just under the hide behind the front shoulder and into the brisket area. They were in about a 8" pattern not deep enough to destroy meat and the hide had healed over. I'm not sure how this could happen unless someone took a long distance shot or a load they were using was weak. I've not seen anything like that,since. Weird for sure. I like using sabot slugs rather than buck shot. With sabot slugs and a rifled barrel inside 50 yds,if you hit the deer in the vitals,they go down fairly quickly. If there's any doubt,at all,I just won't take the shot.

  7. #96
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I take careful shot with buckshot and know my range when used correctly it works great. It is the person behind the trigger that matters. I don't care what your shooting however if you take a bad shot or out of range you will either miss or wound. You continuously state over and over again that only buckshot is bad. Put a bow in that same person hand who screwed up with buckshot and they will screw up with buckshot. Contrary to your belief many deer are wounded every year with bows.

    I would say you butcher for a lot of very bad hunters who cannot estimate difference. I have seem many people who cannot tell the difference between 30 yards and 50 yards. Seen people who though my back yard was 200 yards but it's only 100 (I know I measured it and it also says the distance on my survey papers). Seen people shoot at geese that were at least 100 yards up and they thought it was only 50 (Still to far, I only shoot at geese 30 and under).

    A 30-30 is not practical for 300 + yard shots at Moose let alone deer yet people still do it. As I said it is all about the person behind the trigger.

    My uncle can hit a deer on the run and do it over and over and over again every time but I won't take a shot like that as I know my capabilities. A good friend of mine can spin our bow target and hit it at 20 yards. I have seen guy's on here brag they shot a deer are 100 yards with their bow if they did in my opinion not a good idea.

    is buckshot lethal? Get yourself a target and shoot it.


    Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    I know my gun. I know where my bullet is going.i pick my shots and will not take risks. I guess I'm too ethical for some around here. You know as well as I do how many deer are wounded because of it. Sure deer are wounded by slugs/rifles. Odds are much higher in recovering them. Always a better blood trail. Many assume a clean miss with buckshot. This seldom happens. It seems I find pellets in every 2nd or 3rd deer I butcher.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

  8. #97
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Did you read the story by Out of Doors on buckshot. He was shooting at 60, personally I feel it is only suited for 30 much like a bow. I hope you don't shoot your bow at a deer over 30. Personally I would use buckshot vs a bow. To much suffering for the majority of deer shot with a bow and I like humane shots so I use slugs (slug gun) and buckshot.

    Actually buckshot is extremely popular in Easter Ontario.

    Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    I'm talking about an animal hit in the body obiously. Love how you used that leg thing and ran with it! Funny how I have never found an old slug in any deer ive butchered. If you think slugs wound as many deer as buckshot (tons and tons lol) you need to pull your head out of your ! Read some of the other stories in this thread. I know 1 person who uses buckshot out of 20 or so guys I know because there are much better tools available. Especially with today's rifled barrels and sabots. Why would you limit yourself to such short distances. As for the blood trail comment. We always hunt from stands. Exit hole is lower than the entrance almost always producing some sort of blood! If not we do a grid search.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

  9. #98
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    2 years ago I shot a buck with my crossbow I found a slug in a bucks back strap. It was a gross green mess around the bullet!!
    Surprising it didnt go thru. That must have been disapointing. Did u toss both straps?

  10. #99
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Slugs cause more meat loss than buckshot.
    Buckshot holes are almost impossible to see on a deer unless they are skinned.
    What does me missing a deer this week with my MZ have to do with this ridiculous debate?
    KK1, once you answer these questions, I am blocking you. I think you are ill informed.
    That has not been the case in my considerable experience. I’ve skinned a lot of buckshot deer. Meat loss was considerable.
    As far as buckshot holes not visible unless the deer is skinned.....well, that’s the problem, very little blood trail with a lethal hit. I’ve seen deer hit with very little blood, only a drop or two, and because the hunter was experienced tracker, recovered it over 300 yds away. One pellet in the lung.
    Most guys would have given up on the recovery. Any slug wounds are obviously very large with heavy blood loss.
    But then, I can only go by personal experience in actual hunting scenarios, as opposed to shooting at a target !!
    Last edited by rick_iles; December 10th, 2018 at 05:21 PM.

  11. #100
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Slugs cause more meat loss than buckshot.
    Buckshot holes are almost impossible to see on a deer unless they are skinned.
    What does me missing a deer this week with my MZ have to do with this ridiculous debate?
    KK1, once you answer these questions, I am blocking you. I think you are ill informed.
    Yeah a hole lot of wib meet waisted! At least you know you missed that deer. Thats my point! Do you really know if you've missed with buckshot?? No 2 patterns are the same. Please block me. You seem to think your the boss anyway. Btw nice deer.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •