Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer, Corn and Combines

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

The farmer where I hunt finds deer once and awhile. If they are closer to the road he figures car hit. If closer to the bush then bad shot. He hunts controlled hunt, got a really big buck couple of years ago. It had been hit in the back leg with and arrow. The deer meat was all green and spoiled. It was the walking dead. They cut the antlers off and throw the rest away. So it not just buck shot, it is the shot of whatever. People making bad shots or shots they shouldn't be taking. Lost deer happen, but really shouldn't. I have been luck so far and have found all my deer.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I imagine there's a fair number of people who use buckshot for deer because they don't have anywhere to sight in for slugs, or are otherwise too lazy to bother.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

There are a ton of assumptions and very little factual verification going on here. Controlled hunts are made up ethical careful hunters and a lot of “one week wonders” who can’t shoot and dust off the old gun once a year. These same people wound tons of deer with buckshot, slugs, and muzzle loaders. Can’t just say “ban buckshot”. I’ve killed several deer cleanly with buckshot. I have lost a few with slugs, so unless you are perfect, be careful about being too quick to point fingers.
    Last edited by dilly; December 5th, 2018 at 10:45 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sadly people shooting out of range for their buckshot just like those who do the same shooting out of range for ducks and geese. In all respect steel shot is not equal to lead so maybe hunting migratory game should be banned.

Buckshot has a max range of about 30 yards the same distance for ducks and geese. One place I hunted this year it would be impossible to shoot slugs.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I stated it few times already- MNRF should put kind of test in place for shooting skills(like many countries in Europe do).You hit what you need to hit-you get the tag for the year.If no-practice more.
    And yes,they do test hitting running targets too- you are being scored for running shots also.........
    There will always be a lost animal due of many issues arising-but this can be decreased a lot.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In NB You have to do a shooting test for your Moose Tag

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    I stated it few times already- MNRF should put kind of test in place for shooting skills(like many countries in Europe do).You hit what you need to hit-you get the tag for the year.If no-practice more.
    And yes,they do test hitting running targets too- you are being scored for running shots also.........
    There will always be a lost animal due of many issues arising-but this can be decreased a lot.

User Info Menu

OOD just had an article on buckshot and its effectiveness...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Splaker View Post
    OOD just had an article on buckshot and its effectiveness...
    They did, but they could not even write the article to align with their testing, a decent article until the conclusions did not match the evidence with regards to choke and pellet count for the loads used, but this has all been talked about in previous threads and Jaycee just wants to go at it again.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Lots of ranges would need to built and laws changed for hunters to practice on a regular and frequent basis before your proposal would ever be viable. Liberals would NEVER allow that. They're more into restricting ownership and hunting,not promoting it. That proposal will be dead in the water from the get-go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Lots of ranges would need to built and laws changed for hunters to practice on a regular and frequent basis before your proposal would ever be viable. Liberals would NEVER allow that. They're more into restricting ownership and hunting,not promoting it. That proposal will be dead in the water from the get-go.
    what are you talking about? there are shooting ranges all over Toronto

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast