Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: What do you do with your coyotes?

  1. #1
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default What do you do with your coyotes?

    I was wondering if anyone here takes coyotes for there fur or what you guys do with them.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    If the fur is good I take the ones I shoot home and skin them out, do some home-tanning with them. But not interested in taking anyone elses as they are a lot of work for little to no money.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaner7269 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here takes coyotes for there fur or what you guys do with them.
    Under the FWCA,if the fur has value,we're required to prevent the hide from going to waste. It takes about 10 minutes to skin one out and dispose of the carcass when they're still warm. We may donate or sell the hide to anyone we want under the authority of our small game license. I always skin out a hide in the bush away from prying eyes and snowflakes with cell phone cameras,dragging the carcass well out of sight and let Mother Nature do her work. Care must be taken with Mangy hides. It's best not to skin them out because they're worthless and can be dangerous. Mange is caused by skin mytes which are easily transferred by contact to humans. Always wear gloves and drag carcasses by attaching a rope avoiding all contact. Les Johnson has some excellent videos on skinning techniques on YouTube or his website www.predatorquest.com
    Last edited by trimmer21; November 17th, 2018 at 09:48 PM.

  5. #4
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    makes a great stew...

    I have come across quite a few dead coyotes that were shot and left behind...

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splaker View Post
    makes a great stew...

    I have come across quite a few dead coyotes that were shot and left behind...
    Yep,me too. Pest destruction. A dead Coyote is a good Coyote. Farmers have no issue with digging a hole and burying them.

  7. #6
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    With the almost total collapse of the wild fur industry, eastern coyote are pretty much the only thing worth sending to sale. Prices are up since Canada Goose coats became globally popular. The fur is a trim item used for the hood ruff. Good prime easterns were getting $50-80 last year, so definitely worth your time to pelt. Best pelts are right now, up until the end of January. Use FMJ bullet so you don't blow the animal to pieces.

  8. #7
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    http://www.furharvesters.com/results...y/jan18can.pdf
    Based on the 60% clearance, I'd only send in good prime ones. No junk, nothing manged-up. Top prices are excellent based on the last sales.

  9. #8
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    FMJ are a bad idea. Unless the shot is perfect the coyote will be gone to die somewhere and lost. They are tough animals.

  10. #9
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    With the almost total collapse of the wild fur industry, eastern coyote are pretty much the only thing worth sending to sale. Prices are up since Canada Goose coats became globally popular. The fur is a trim item used for the hood ruff. Good prime easterns were getting $50-80 last year, so definitely worth your time to pelt. Best pelts are right now, up until the end of January. Use FMJ bullet so you don't blow the animal to pieces.
    You should not hunt with FMJ.

    Period.

    This is bad advice.

  11. #10
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    You should not hunt with FMJ.

    Period.

    This is bad advice.
    Agreed, have had great results with the Hornady v-max, they do not go far after shot, mostly die in their tracks.

    If you can get over the thought of eating them, they are actually pretty good.

    "Hold my beer and watch this"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •