Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Black Powder Cleaner

  1. #11
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post

    Hi MikePal-not challenging You,but what is wrong with Bore Butter?
    I use it on my TC Omega for 10 years or so for yearly storage....so far ,so good?

    Thanx
    Just experience...I used it the first year I had side lock (closed end bore) and come spring put a pull thru and it came Orange. It took most of the morning to get it cleaned out and barrel polished back up.

    Maybe it works better in the in-lines with the breach plug removed and air can circulate.

    Bore butter, especially the biodegradable natural stuff is nowhere near comparable to a CLP product like Breakfree for storage/presevation. Why not just use it, like you do on all your other barrels ?

    take a read thru these comments on the issue;

    https://www.shootersforum.com/muzzle...ased-oils.html
    Last edited by MikePal; December 18th, 2018 at 07:01 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    MikePal, when we shot this gun the first time at your place the cleaner we used was all I used, this residue did not occur in that case. What was that stuff? Do they sell it locally? I think the Hornady stuff will be removed from the BP cleaning kit.
    I think we cleaned the barrel with Birchwood Casey "Muzzle Magic Cleaner'..stuff works great to get you to a clean patch. I see it occasionally at different stores (Old Joe's had some) .....basically it's main ingredient is isopropyl alcohol. The Hornady stuff probably works fine to clean just not preserve.

    If I remember correctly, we then ran a swap of Breakfree down the pipe to lube/preserve the barrel.
    Last edited by MikePal; December 18th, 2018 at 06:40 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  4. #13
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I think we cleaned the barrel with Birchwood Casey "Muzzle Magic Cleaner'..stuff works great to get you to a clean patch. I see it occasionally at different stores (Old Joe's had some) .....basically it's main ingredient is isopropyl alcohol. The Hornady stuff probably works fine to clean just not preserve.

    If I remember correctly, we then ran a swap of Breakfree down the pipe to lube/preserve the barrel.
    I do not remember doing that, I will check it tonight and see if things are frosty again after running CLP through it last night.

  5. #14
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    With my savage 10MLii smokeless.
    Hoppes #9 Black Powder solvent to clean the sabot residue.
    Then coat the entire gun in CLP.

  6. #15
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    With my savage 10MLii smokeless.
    Hoppes #9 Black Powder solvent to clean the sabot residue.
    Then coat the entire gun in CLP.
    Why are you bothering with a BP solvent? Any shotgun cleaner will clean out the sabot residue, smokeless does not have the same issues as BP.

  7. #16
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    Hoppes #9 Black Powder solvent to clean the sabot residue
    When I first saw that product, the word 'solvent' made me think it was specifically for cleaning up BH209. Never gave it a second glance as I was still using T7.

    Maybe I'll take another look at it.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  8. #17
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Why are you bothering with a BP solvent? Any shotgun cleaner will clean out the sabot residue, smokeless does not have the same issues as BP.
    Good point!

    After my sighting in session & ML hunting week the bore was spotless and didn't need to be cleaned

  9. #18
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    Good point!

    After my sighting in session & ML hunting week the bore was spotless and didn't need to be cleaned
    I have never noticed a plastic residue from sabots in a rifled shotgun, with a tighter choke on a shotgun I have noticed the plastic residue but never on sabot slugs, although I am sure there is some.

    Black powder is nasty to clean up, I give you that, budget and age dictate its use though, or substitutes.

    The cool project is not the round ball gun but the rimfire loads, making ammo for a 25 Stevens with BP as it is the only known powder burn rate for this gun.

  10. #19
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I have been using BB for years on my Thompson ML.
    I never had rust issues maybe because the barrel is stainless.

  11. #20
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I think we cleaned the barrel with Birchwood Casey "Muzzle Magic Cleaner'..stuff works great to get you to a clean patch. I see it occasionally at different stores (Old Joe's had some) .....basically it's main ingredient is isopropyl alcohol. The Hornady stuff probably works fine to clean just not preserve.

    If I remember correctly, we then ran a swap of Breakfree down the pipe to lube/preserve the barrel.
    Thank You MikePal interesting read

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •