Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And pa'tridge in a cedar tree

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default And pa'tridge in a cedar tree

…. Well more like in a group of cedars. Got out for a short hunt. Hoped to see lots of tracks in the fresh snow but the only grouse tracks I saw were after the fact. There was a crust of snow under the fresh stuff so stealth was not on my side. I did see a boat load of turkeys tracks as well as the other usual suspects and two six point bucks that made in through the gun seasons. Terrible phone photo but since I think they knew something was around I didn't want to spook them. I swear there was 2 but I can't find the second one.

Given the sun was out but it was cold I figured there would be some birds out but I didn't see any until I found a small clump of cedars and this one flushed from them. I'm not going to pretend that I'm a master wing shooter but I do ok if I see them before they flush. If they flush first it's rare that I hit them and this might be the second ever that I've hit flushing from a tree.

I did find a single set of grouse tracks after on the other side of the cedars but they looked to be the ones that this bird made. Dug a couple of other birds from the freezer and we're eating grouse for Sunday dinner after my son's hockey team's food drive for Christmas Cheer at the local grocery.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good outing but seems not a lot of encouragement too get the dog out this week. Hoping to get out this week somewhere need a bird to finish off the second kit for the west nile study.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice bird congrats. Not seeing many this year
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

User Info Menu

You did better than me this year on Simcoe County grouse. All I managed to do was prune a few trees...
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Wtg Rob!

Nice day out for sure.

Cheers,
    Mark

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Looks like you had a fun day in the woods, congrats on the grouse in the bag.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report and the photos.
    Always amazing how deer can disappear into the woods even in bright daylight, eh!?
    I plan to get out one or more times if ice and snow give it a break...
    Between work, and Christmas stuff, it will not be easy for anyone to get out and hunt.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Interesting gun, never seen a pump with a straight stock !

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I managed one today too. Took him on the wing with my drilling even!

User Info Menu

Well done, Dilly! Great photo.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast