Thread: sometimes it just needs a KICK in the @$$

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default sometimes it just needs a KICK in the @$$

I decided to get out to the club today and do a little shooting with it being such a nice day. Today I was shooting my smokeless Savage with a large shank Brux .45 barrel.
    I was using some .458 300 grain Hornady bullets that I had modified to a spitzer profile full form sized , and my standard 70 grain charge. The group would fit nicely into a 3 in. circle which would be fine for minute of deer but these rifles are capable of much better accuracy than that. I decided to try some 73 grain loads that I had and immediately after the first shot I realized things were looking up, after the initial shot which was 1 in left of centre. I adjusted the scope 4 clicks to the right and proceeded to produce a nice cloverleaf.
    Everything else was the same, just the increase in powder.
    This gun was built to handle this charge easily ( don't try it in your gun if it hasn't be designed for it).
    Sometimes like everything else we just need a kick in the @$$ to get things going.

here's the bullet

here's the first group

here's the final group
    Last edited by smokeeter; January 4th, 2019 at 03:37 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Nicely done.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Looks like it is getting right where you want it!

Have you tried a heavy load of 3031?

Should push it from 2700 to 3000 FPS.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I haven't tried any slower powder than the 4198 or equivalent , I was trying to squeeze as much out of a pound as I could. plus my barrel is possibly a little short to ensure all of the powder is burnt.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Smokeless powder muzzle loading guns rule!

I like everything about my Savage 10ML ii except for the weight. lol

Just starting out

User Info Menu

That is great shooting. What velocity are you getting from that load? My Savage 10ml II is a .50 cal. and I shoot 67gr of H4198 with a 325 gr Hornady FTX in Harvester black crush rib sabots. I get 2250fps and 1.5" groups. BTW, I like your modified bullets. Is it a difficult process to modify the bullets?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have chronied the 70 gr load and velocities were 2650 , I haven't done the 73 gr load but I suspect it'll be 2800ish.
    The bullets are formed with some custom dies and a 4 ton hydraulic press.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

That 73gr load with your custom made bullets and a range finder makes for a solid long range deer gun. Did you buy the dies or make them yourself?
    I plan on converting a .50 cal Remington 700Ml to .45 cal. I want to shoot swaged Hornady 325gr ftx's at 2600fps for my long range deer gun.
    I like what you're doing. Good work

Just starting out

User Info Menu

It seems like you had so much fun just by looking at the bullet holes in the pictures.