Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman 525 Slug

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Well I am impressed. I find myself sitting here and saying to myself do you need another slug mold - lol?

I was just wondering if you could get away with a stiffer and thicker wad card behind the slug. I remember back in the days I shot the old lyman smooth bore slugs I did the same thing as I was afraid of the wadding getting pushed up into the base of the soft lead slug and really increasing the pressures.

Not that I want to buy one but did you order the mold online?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I got mine from a guy in the States but Mihec will sell direct he's in Europe and if you google him you can see if he has any available.
    There is also a mold from Russia that is a lyman clone that is available on Ebay. and this one. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...juuk3j3e7jf6h4
    The biggest challenge I have had is finding original Winchester components which lyman designed these slugs for. ie wwaa12r wads now obsolete but some stock is out there. I dug up enough components to keep me in stock for a while ( I hope). I find it a great slug but with it's limitations, a little over 100 yrds is my limit I have my smokeless muzzy for longer shots.
    Last edited by smokeeter; January 9th, 2019 at 08:46 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
    I got mine from a guy in the States but Mihec will sell direct he's in Europe and if you google him you can see if he has any available.
    There is also a mold from Russia that is a lyman clone that is available on Ebay. and this one. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...juuk3j3e7jf6h4
    The biggest challenge I have had is finding original Winchester components which lyman designed these slugs for. ie wwaa12r wads now obsolete but some stock is out there. I dug up enough components to keep me in stock for a while ( I hope). I find it a great slug but with it's limitations, a little over 100 yrds is my limit I have my smokeless muzzy for longer shots.
    Ok thanks I make take the plunge.

Over the years I have ordered a number of molds from this company called Accurate Molds.

http://accuratemolds.com/index.php

The owner Tom seems like a really nice fellow and he will make you pretty much whatever design you want. I was also thinking of getting a 50 cal sabot mold for BP muzzle loader. Tom is very knowledgeable and always has good advice.

I have an old stash of those red wads too. There must be a substitute for them somewhere?

I also have a 10ML smokeless and love it. I have taken 2 bull moose with it, one 130 yards and the other at 160 with a 300 grn Hornady SST. Both were pass thrus.

Anyway thanks for the info. Good shooting my friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12