Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 90

Thread: New To Site Questions About Moose Calibre

  1. #51
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    99% of shots are under 75 yds, where do you come up with that?.

    Whats happens when you spot a moose or even a deer at 200+ yards with a 30-30? Almost anywhere in this province this can occur. A rifle with less than 900ftlbs of energy at such is the farthest place than ideal. Why handicap yourself when theres tons of better choices...
    Reality. The VAST majority of hunters in Ontario have never shot anything beyond 100 yards. I should have specified Ontario in my earlier post.

    I fully agree that you shouldn't limit yourself, but the OP stated he wouldn't be taking long shots. He's already decided to limit himself. I would consider a 200 yard shot on a moose a long shot. Within 100 yards a moose won't know the difference between a 30-30 and a .300 Win mag.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #52
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Reality. The VAST majority of hunters in Ontario have never shot anything beyond 100 yards. I should have specified Ontario in my earlier post.


    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Speak for yourself, you did specify Ontario. Theres lots of open areas in this province to hunt game....
    Last edited by canadaman30; January 11th, 2019 at 06:16 PM.

  4. #53
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Reality. The VAST majority of hunters in Ontario have never shot anything beyond 100 yards. I should have specified Ontario in my earlier post.

    I fully agree that you shouldn't limit yourself, but the OP stated he wouldn't be taking long shots. He's already decided to limit himself. I would consider a 200 yard shot on a moose a long shot. Within 100 yards a moose won't know the difference between a 30-30 and a .300 Win mag.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    True,the Moose won't know the difference,but,the butcher sure will. A .300WinMag will send a 10lb roast out the other side. 200 yd shots across muskeg swamps,ponds and over hydro cuts happens in our hunt camp more often than not. We draw lots for watches and dogger duty,so,some of us bring both a short range and a long range backup rifle. There's a few .44's,but,mostly short range guns are either shotguns or .30-30's.

  5. #54
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    True,the Moose won't know the difference,but,the butcher sure will. A .300WinMag will send a 10lb roast out the other side. 200 yd shots across muskeg swamps,ponds and over hydro cuts happens in our hunt camp more often than not. We draw lots for watches and dogger duty,so,some of us bring both a short range and a long range backup rifle. There's a few .44's,but,mostly short range guns are either shotguns or .30-30's.
    With rifles that can reach way out there, no need to bring more than one gun. Personally I could care less about bloodshot ribs, theres not much meat there to begin with. The 300wm might just be the perfect one gun for all in this country.

  6. #55
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Speak for yourself, you did specify Ontario. Theres lots of open areas in this province to hunt game....
    Which 99% of hunters don't hunt in. For that matter, 99% of hunters have no business shooting beyond 100 yards anyway.

    You're forgetting who the average hunter is.

    My point was for this OP's intended use, the 30-30 is more than capable.

    If you want to continue fantasizing about Wild TV style long range big game hunting, knock yourself out.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GW11; January 11th, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

  7. #56
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Which 99% of hunters don't hunt in. For that matter, 99% of hunters have no business shooting beyond 100 yards anyway.

    You're forgetting who the average hunter is.

    My point was for this OP's intended use, the 30-30 is more than capable.

    If you want to continue fantasizing about Wild TV style long range big game hunting, knock yourself out.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Wow dude you speak about alot of people you don't even know. Just because you may not be able to shoot beyond 100yds, why do you claim no one else has any business doing so?..

  8. #57
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Wow dude you speak about alot of people you don't even know. Just because you may not be able to shoot beyond 100yds, why do you claim no one else has any business doing so?..
    Surely you're correct in your assumptions canadaman. I really don't know what I was thinking.

    Apologies to the OP... buy a .270 and don't look back. You won't even have to pull the trigger, deer and moose alike will be smote down in its presence.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

  9. #58
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    My 270 and 308 have both shot moose and deer. All shots have been around 100 yards or less with little or no meat damage. Personally I feel comfortable shooting to about 250 yards, (but that`s just me) with either caliber. If I was looking to buy a new rifle for the first time I would most likely buy one in 3006 caliber. My reasoning is that there are more bullet weights offered in that caliber, its available everywhere, its proven itself as a big game hunting tool, there are many fine firearm choices be it a semi, lever or bolt action. i would like one but If I brought any more rifles home the wife would think i have money and go out and buy something stupid like furniture. That`s why i don`t have one. I rest my case.

  10. #59
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    OP may have been wondering where his question took this forum......
    This is my take(and perhaps between those lines OP read it too.........)

    Any rifle would take a moose (and deer to boot)if shot accurately-and only when the animal "cooperates"(presenting proper shot placement for the caliber intended to use).
    Most "humane"shots can be taken with a "reasonable" AND legal caliber for accurate-fast and "humane kill".Here comes the caliber and the bullet weight in the picture.
    Most "reasonable"calibers are the ones reasonably readily available anywhere to buy ammo for -and bullet weight AND bullet structure variation availability-to be able to pick one the rifle likes-and game needs for humane kill.
    Best caliber for the OP would be the one he can also shoot accurately-here comes the "smaller"caliber in the picture.MOST-but not all shooters can shoot smaller calibers more accurately. Flinch and gun kick comes to my mind.Providing gun weight is about the same(lighter gun in the SAME action selection kicks harder with the same caliber)
    Most of the shots will likely be relatively short range-BUT why limit yourself to a short range,then kick yourself if a 200-250- yards ,or a bit more(within your comfortable range) presents itself and you can not take the shot due of your ONLY one rifle is not capable of taking it(AGAIN-if You will be able to take the shot).

    So-buy your cal of liking-BUT if you have access,try several rifles for fit and kick(friends,gun clubs can help there),STOCK your ammo to the gun's liking AND to the bullet needed to kill your intended game,and enjoy!
    Last edited by gbk; January 11th, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

  11. #60
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Surely you're correct in your assumptions canadaman. I really don't know what I was thinking.

    Apologies to the OP... buy a .270 and don't look back. You won't even have to pull the trigger, deer and moose alike will be smote down in its presence.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Well he wants a 6.5 Creedmor or a 7mm, I think he should get one of those, one that he can shoot comfortably and wants, rather than something people claim on here, they will all work within their range, whatever that range happens to be.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •