Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90

Thread: New To Site Questions About Moose Calibre

  1. #41
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Other calibers were around but people didn't have the luxury of an internet where one could discuss the pros and cons of a new or different cartridge. The passing of knowledge was still word of mouth, money was tight back in the day and guys were reluctant to spend hard earned cash when the rifle they were using seemed to be enough.
    The perceived need for a better gun was the result of TV.....the mass marketing machine that sponsored Hunting shows convinced guys that they needed to wear Mossy Oak, use obscure ammunition and everything 'magnum' is better HaHa.

    Still use a PH sporter .303 Brit...I guess I take care of it because it shoots great.
    Last edited by MikePal; January 11th, 2019 at 05:39 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #42
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Not here in Canada.
    Here the 303 Brit would have the most kills.
    But that alone doesn't make either the better choice.
    I didn't mention anything about limiting the scope to Canada, a whitetail is dead no matter where it happens. Moose in Canada would probably go to the Brit but deer, I'm not so sure. I'm more than likely incorrect in my remark about the 30-30 killing the most whitetail. I can adjust that comment to "killed the most whitetail during daylight hours". In reality the lowly .22lr has probably tanked more deer in Canada than anything ever will. Only in recent history has the need for meat on the table given way to sport hunting.

    I know a lot of older guys today that dislike venison wholeheartedly because that is all they got to eat as kids. "Aim between the candles boy!"

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

  4. #43
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    I have a hard time agreeing with a 30-30 for moose. Although it has taken a large amount of deer IMO it's not even a great choice on deer.
    May not be your choice for deer or moose but the number of freezers that have been filled over the years by the 30-30 speaks for itself.

    The 30-30 in the US for sure, the 303 Brit in Canada, not the 303 Brit is not seen all that much anymore but when I started hunting in 1999 the neighbouring camp had a rack of full military Lee Enfields and nothing else.

    The animals have not evolved armour and the cartridges have not become weaker, the mentality of the shooting needing bigger and faster is the only thing that has changed, I think it is called little man syndrome. This is the same train of thought that says that open sights are not ethical or accurate, it is total BS.

    Another note on the 7x57mm, have a look at the accounts of these guns killing Elephants, between the 7x57 and the 303 Brit the number of Elephants to go down to these old military cartridges is insane, probably only out numbered now by the 7.62x39 out of an AK shot my poachers.

  5. #44
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The perceived need for a better gun was the result of TV.....the mass marketing machine that sponsored Hunting shows convinced guys that they needed to wear Mossy Oak, use obscure ammunition and everything 'magnum' is better HaHa.

    Still use a PH sporter .303 Brit...I guess I take care of it because it shoots great.
    It was also the demand for better performance. The performance of a flat nose 3030 for big game is sad imo. Just because they were cheap and widely available does not make them a good choice. For all the animals they have killed, there are piles of game that were never recovered as well, but nobody wants to admit.

  6. #45
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I admit that the 30-30 has taken a pile of deer, but guaranteed those numbers have dwindled over the last 30 years. I used one when I started hunting as did most of my hunting partners. None of which use them now except for the doggers on the occasional bush drive. But times have changed and so have the methods to hunt deer. 30 years ago we would have never thought of sitting in a stand and waiting for the deer, we trudged through the bush to push them out and a 30-30 with open sights was perfect for the job. But these day sitting on stand the 30-30 stays in the safe and the job goes to either 308 or 270wsm.

  7. #46
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    It was also the demand for better performance. The performance of a flat nose 3030 for big game is sad imo. Just because they were cheap and widely available does not make them a good choice. For all the animals they have killed, there are piles of game that were never recovered as well, but nobody wants to admit.
    Yep! My thoughts exactly.

  8. #47
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    It was also the demand for better performance. The performance of a flat nose 3030 for big game is sad imo. Just because they were cheap and widely available does not make them a good choice. For all the animals they have killed, there are piles of game that were never recovered as well, but nobody wants to admit.
    But you don't need better performance when 99% of shots you'll ever take are less than 75 yards. The 30-30 performs exactly the way it's supposed to at these ranges.

    "Sad" ballistics on a chart don't bother me when the actual results on live game speak for themselves. The "demand for better performance" is not real for most hunters. Sure, out west or up north in clear cuts where long shots are possible but not in the majority of Ontario.

    I'll carry my 30-06, .243 or .270 if I think a longer shot might be possible, but a 30-30 usually comes in a handy little package that's nice to carry and has a traditional feel that you just don't get from bolt action rifles.

    It really doesn't matter, most people have their minds made up about this type of thing and we can argue "what works better" all day long. Shoot a deer at 40 yards with your .270 then shoot the next one at the same distance with a 30-30 and see what you think.


    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

  9. #48
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    It really doesn't matter, most people have their minds made up about this type of thing and we can argue "what works better" all day long. Shoot a deer at 40 yards with your .270 then shoot the next one at the same distance with a 30-30 and see what you think.
    You hit the nail on the head, he made his mind up about his 270, period.

    The 30-30 is a perfectly effective gun at normal hunting ranges, sure the deer I saw at 700 yards across a number of fields would be out of range but the deer on the property I had permission would have been at 50 yards or less, in that situation the 30-30 is actually overkill, ha ha, ya I said it, the 30-30 is more than necessary at 50 yards or less.

    For an all around gun for varmints to big Yukon moose no the 30-30 is not ideal but all these anti caliber people need to give their heads a shake, the 308 Win is a .308 bullet at 150-160gr going into the vitals of an animal, the 30-30 is a .308 150-170gr bullet going into the vitals of the animal, the powder or gun that puts it there does not matter at all.

    Yes, I said I do not like the 270, does not mean it does not work, it means that I do not like it, I also do not like the idea of a 300 Win mag at 100 yards for most things.

  10. #49
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    But you don't need better performance when 99% of shots you'll ever take are less than 75 yards. The 30-30 performs exactly the way it's supposed to at these ranges.

    "Sad" ballistics on a chart don't bother me when the actual results on live game speak for themselves. The "demand for better performance" is not real for most hunters. Sure, out west or up north in clear cuts where long shots are possible but not in the majority of Ontario.

    I'll carry my 30-06, .243 or .270 if I think a longer shot might be possible, but a 30-30 usually comes in a handy little package that's nice to carry and has a traditional feel that you just don't get from bolt action rifles.

    It really doesn't matter, most people have their minds made up about this type of thing and we can argue "what works better" all day long. Shoot a deer at 40 yards with your .270 then shoot the next one at the same distance with a 30-30 and see what you think.


    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    99% of shots are under 75 yds, where do you come up with that?.

    Whats happens when you spot a moose or even a deer at 200+ yards with a 30-30? Almost anywhere in this province this can occur. A rifle with less than 900ftlbs of energy at such is the farthest place than ideal. Why handicap yourself when theres tons of better choices...
    Last edited by canadaman30; January 11th, 2019 at 12:18 PM.

  11. #50
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    re: comment on .22 taking the most deer. I'd almost have to say the same for the moose, having spent a lot of time in far northern Ontario, Manitoba, and NWT. The standard moose hunt usually involved a .22 semi and nothing else. Something cheap like an old Glenfield or lakefield Mossberg. Saw quite a few nylon 66s. A quiet paddle down river in the canoe until a moose was seen, usually in the shoreline alders. 4-5 quick rounds into the ribs and leave the moose alone for an hour. Thirty cents spent and one dead moose. A lot cheaper than buying 303 ammo for the Enfield after all the cheap milsurp FMJ ball ammo was gone by the early 60s.
    A .22mag has also prob. killed tens of thousands of deer in this province - the ultimate gun if you're head-shooting deer with a q-beam!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •