Thread: Bear hunt

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Bear hunt

Hello everyone, my wife and I are new to hunting and looking for some advise on bear hunting for myself. My wife is not really wanting to go for a bear hunt but will gladly enjoy the harvest if successful. Looking for some advise on time for spring hunt as well as bait mix. Looking to buy none parishable feed between now and spring to make a mix to help for a successful harvest in the spring this time, missed my opportunity last spring and regretting it ever sense lol. Only unfortunate part is we have access to 250 acres in merrickville area where there are 3-4 bears around but I can't get on the property whenever I want I am depending on someone else baiting for me. I have no problems supplying whatever is needed for him to bait for me and he doesn't hunt bears but knows there are to many close to the camp for comfort. So curious on some advise to get some action at a few spots. I already have 5 jars of bacon grease and used cooking oil I have been saving. As well as debating between regular corn feed with some berries/apples. Looking for any input from seasoned beat hunters for any advise on a bait mix that could help with more of a chance of a successful harvest.

Also open to changing locations if anyone else has some places near the Ottawa area where I could help set up/maintain and get our own hunting group since we ate new and don't know many hunters around us.

Thanks for your time to read and replies ahead of time.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have only been intentionally hunting bears for 4 years now and have been moderately successful. The first year was learning and did not connect with anything but by the end of the season I had bears hitting my baits. In the following 3 seasons I have managed to take 4 bears and put my 2 sons and brother-in-law on their first bears. I run 3 baits and don't do anything particularly fancy. My bait recipe is as follows:

270 lbs whole corn - $32
    20 lbs factory second jujubes or marshmellows - $15
    25 lbs Molasses - $8

This all goes in a 55 gallon drum and fills it to about 85-90%. Drum has three 1.25 inch holes in the bottom and is chained to a tree on an 8 foot lead. I start baiting about 2 weeks before I intend to hunt.

Of the 7 bears none were monsters but they tasted darn good. Weights ranged from 120 to 250 lbs. Once the bears start pounding it I had one site that was going through all the bait every 4 days.

Some of the guys like Skeeter, Skull, Sawbill and Smitty55 have a lot more knowledge than I do especially for targeting larger bears.
    Last edited by Species8472; January 13th, 2019 at 12:41 AM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Leads by example

User Info Menu

We keep our bait sites simple (dry dog food mixed with molasses) in 45 gallon drums chained to trees. As Species mentioned start to feed a few weeks before your intended hunting date if possible. Trail cams are very useful, they let you know when the bear/s are hitting the bait and if they are boars or sows with cubs.
    I spray anise on tree limbs around the bait site for an added touch. Good luck with your hunt, bear hunting is addictive
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

if i chimed in on the best bait and best method I'd be tarred and feathered!
    the best bait/method has hundreds of answers and followers. ALL CORRECT....
    really? no matter what you do if you get bears then you just created the best bait/method.

pm me if you want my thoughts
    I'm in Dominican right now stalking some topless does
    doing the one finger type.
    I'll get back in another week and on to a better computer
    Last edited by SK33T3R; January 13th, 2019 at 09:52 AM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Biggest issue I see right off the bat is you not being able to bait the sites yourself. It can be a lot of work depending on bait used and how easy access is to your spots, hopefully there is an atv available. For a real light bait popcorn is hard to beat, I buy mine from bulk barn and use a hot air popper.
    I'm curious as to why you can't get more access to the property, I can see the owners getting fed up with baiting for someone else fairly quick. Also it would be their scent that would be left behind when really it should be yours that the bears become accustomed to. Likely a good idea to hang some old sweaty stinky clothing of yours around the stand. Plus you will have no control over baiting times, if they keep going in to feed in the evenings after work that would not be as conducive to a successful evening hunt when you go in.
    Have you got your spots worked out yet? Myself I like to find the thickest, dirtiest, gnarliest areas I can, even better if there is a swamp around with beaver dams. The more cover there is for the bears to move through the more likely they are to feel comfortable moving in daylight hours.
    Do you know what type of bait containers you plan on using? Besides my roller barrel I've always strapped large military cans to a tree with two ratchet straps and then 30lbs+ of large rocks on the lid to keep the coons out. Plus it's a definite indicator that the bait has been hit without having to get too close or use a trail cam.
    Speaking of which, do you plan on putting out any cams? I guess if you don't have free access then you won't be able to. They do provide invaluable info. Keep them super clean, you don't want them to smell like bait or human. I've never lost a cam to a bear, but I had bite marks on two and sometimes it would be all askew or even on the ground a couple of times. I had a couple of baits in particular where I had the cams in real precarious spots right where the bears walked by going and leaving the bait and at head level. I washed them down with no scent spray and only handled them with nitrile gloves after that. Both black led. Amazingly they didn't get touched, but there was the odd fuzzy hair pick.

Good luck with it, don't be shy to ask questions.

Cheers