Thread: 1885 High Wall

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default 1885 High Wall

Just brought a Uberti 1885 Highwall home, chambered in 45-70 with a 30" barrel and hoping a few members are familiar with this rifle. Interested in what type of factory ammo you're using and what is giving the best accuracy. I plan on re-loading later this spring, but want to get a few boxes of the factory stuff thru it, until I get a feel for it.
    On a slightly different note, anyone know of a Canadian source for vernier tang sights? A google search only shows U.S sources. Any help or related info will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

For sights talk to Epps, they should be able to get anything you want in.

You planning to shoot lead in it or jacketed bullets?

The 45 caliber single shots are so neat, always loved to put my hands on the 45-110 Uberti at the gun store when I was growing up, the Quigley gun

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Lead or jacketed bullets? Hmmm. That adds another part to the equation. Hadn't really considered it. I'm just hoping to get a few suggestions from guy's experienced with long barreled falling blocks. Maybe save a few $ on factory ammo that is incompatible with this particular type of rifle. I believe the barrel is a 1:20 twist.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Cast bullets are cheap to shoot, assuming you are reloading, 45-70 lead cowboy loads though are probably considered a premium.

The cool part for you is that you can go from traditional all the way up to extreme, you can load black powder and paper patched all the way up to jacketed heavy factory loads, it is a new high wall action.

No experience with shooting any of these outside of a few shots on the range, other guys guns, but the cool factor is amazing.

I have as friend that loaded a lot for his, he made some paper patched ones just to do it, I have one in my collection.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Earle View Post
    Lead or jacketed bullets? Hmmm. That adds another part to the equation. Hadn't really considered it. I'm just hoping to get a few suggestions from guy's experienced with long barreled falling blocks. Maybe save a few $ on factory ammo that is incompatible with this particular type of rifle. I believe the barrel is a 1:20 twist.

I’m not sure if this information will be of much help. I am shooting 43 Mauser model 71/84, in my case the caliber is obsolete, so I’ve been reloading with 45-70 brass. I picked up a 340 grain bullet mold and a set of Lee reloading dies for it. I have to shave a bit off the 45-70 rim, to allow for bolt rotation, which I do with a stone on the drill press. The case sizing die easily necks the bass down for the .446 bullet. I load with IMR 4198 powder, I found 30 grains of 4198 to be about all I want to handle. I did go up to 32 grains once, but found the recoil a bit unpleasant. I’ve read of some going as high as 35 to 39 grains, but at those levels, I can’t imagine the recoil, but each to their own. At one point I’d picked up a 200 grain .45 caliber RN pistol mold, it was .450 just a tad over sized, so I had Lee do up a .446 lube/sizer so I could reduce its diameter. I used the same powder charge, so I suspect I may have gained a couple hundred feet second with the lighter bullet. I tried it out the other day and it really seem to tear up the target.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. Seems there is a variety of 45-70 factory ammo available. Going to try the 300g(federal) and the 405g(Remington). One or the other should give me a starting point for accuracy, then I can get into the re-loading end of it. Lots to learn and some fun days ahead.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

If you're not a member of Canadiangunnutz.com, become one. There are a LOT of shooters there.
    If you decide to shoot cast, join up at Loadswap.com; it's an offshoot site and message board of Beartooth bullets. TONS of info on the Beartooth site.