Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tree steps over the dead season

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

What you are doing is lot of work ... lot of respect for you for that ,

You should use ....(Sterile saline - alcohol wipes....)

I was thinking to buy a arborist tree climber ,

but most of the time I am hunting from the ground

But I have seen some a grown is steps and was fine .

I was thinking to make them from 3/4 steel road and leave them in for a decade ...

Till I retire from hunting .....

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Hi !

I am wondering what everyone is doing with their tree steps over the "dead season"like Jan til Oct.
    I always take them out,take them home,keep them in the shed till the spring, clean them from gunk and sap( with hot water or alcohol dipped rag) then oil them,then hot water bath them few weeks before punting them back in them trees(mostly by mid -end of August they are back in the bush again)

Sound like a lot of work-and it is.But i kind of enjoy it(sort of).I feel better about not having them out for too long either,then having them cleaned from stuff(to avoid potential contamination from tree to tree-if any.)

What You guys are doing with your screw in tree steps after the season is over?I know some people leave them out in the same tree for many years,some take them out and toss them in the shed as is,till the next season..........wondering if what i am doing is it worth it.......... if i leave them for years in the tree-DO i take safety risk(rust-then breakage).Thanx

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thank You fr the idea Alfoldivandor..................

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have 1 tree stand in a cedar clump which I made a few 3/4" threaded rod pegs for, sharpen 1 end and double nut the other end so you don't have your boot slip off, pre-drill 6"-8" then hammer it in a bit further. They are at least 10 years old and not rusted at all.
    John

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    all my bear and moose stands are still out there for the $100 they cost it's not worth the effort hauling them home and back year after year. we use hydro steps.. got a whole shyt load from the bell canada guys years back. actually went to the pole graveyard and unscrewed hundreds. they remove easily with vice grips when if we move stand locations

stands are unstrapped and stashed....... straps are always checked and stored at home
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly,I’m not lugging a dozen stands in and out every year.I have stands that have been hanging in NB for 15+ years that my buds still use,stands here in Alberta that have been hanging for 7+ years,all on Crown.
    If anything,I remove the bottom 3 or 4 screw in steps to deter thieves and always have a 1/2 dozen steps in my pack.Most of my stands are in remote locations,if anybody finds them and wants to go to the effort of stealing them I guess they need the 50 bucks more then I do.(I’ve bought most of my hang-on stands used online from outdoor classifieds)
    ive yet to lose a stand to thieves but I’ve lost a couple cameras.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I was told this tip a long time ago about tree pegs .
    Keep the pegs as far apart(side to side) as possible but still be able to climb comfortably. That way if you slip on the way up or down, you wont gut yourself like a fish.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onelessarrow View Post
    I was told this tip a long time ago about tree pegs .
    Keep the pegs as far apart(side to side) as possible but still be able to climb comfortably. That way if you slip on the way up or down, you wont gut yourself like a fish.
    You could also use a climbing strap

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You could also use a climbing strap
    Absolutely.
    Unfortunately with pegs, you dont have to fall far to do alot of damage.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I am not a fan of those screw in steps. Over the years I've had and used almost every brand made. Great on a softwood trees but you need leather welding gloves and hulk biceps on some hardwoods. And I don't have the shoulders any more to fight getting them in. AND yes I have seen some pull out. Actually had one break. Advertised as break proof, tempered blah blah blah. I started using those 5/8" dia hydro pegs. virtually indestructible. Even if you try to break or bend ...good luck. They require a pilot hole drilled (9/16) then whack them in and twist to get the slip proof end vertical. They encompass your foot even with big Sorels on. And they have a large presence in your hand. No flexing under any weight or jumping. They will not pull out. You can hang a moose off one. how do I know? because it's been done by me personally. Stuck one in at height and attached a 1 ton chain hoist. up went the moose.
    Anyway I speak from experience for what it's worth. ps use your safety belt at all times!
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I hunt mostly public land. Permanent stands aren't allowed and neither are ladder screws.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    . I started using those 5/8" dia hydro pegs. virtually indestructible. Even if you try to break or bend ...good luck. They require a pilot hole drilled (9/16) then whack them in and twist to get the slip proof end vertical. They encompass your foot even with big Sorels on. And they have a large presence in your hand. No flexing under any weight or jumping. They will not pull out. You can hang a moose off one. how do I know? because it's been done by me personally. Stuck one in at height and attached a 1 ton chain hoist. up went the moose.
    Anyway I speak from experience for what it's worth. ps use your safety belt at all times!
    you wouldn't have a pic of these pegs would you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast