Thread: Pennsylvania flintlock hunt

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Pennsylvania flintlock hunt

This Is my third year in hunting in Pennsylvania (PA) for their special flintlock season. It starts right after Christmas and runs for about 3 weeks. During this hunt, your license allows you to shoot either a buck or a doe. PA has lots of public hunting (called “Game Lands”). You can get more information on the PA Game Commission website. This year I did not see another hunter or heard another shot. Muzzleloaders are exempt from having to get an ATF Import Permit. You need to research the rules about bring deer meat back into Canada, with guns and venison I always get pulled over at Canada Customs. If you enjoy the challenge of hunting with a flintlock…consider PA.

EQUIPMENT: Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 cal wad/patch/ball 85 grains FFG

IMG_0768.jpg

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very nice, I have a channel on Youtube I like to watch and the guys are out of PA and run smoke poles.

For the guns, I have heard that you are limited to traditional, round ball or PA Conical with no optics and a side lock, is this true? Can you use a percussion cap or is it flint lock only?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Good stuff. I love a post like this and would love to participate............if only I wasn't "personna non grata" in the good ol' US of A. Still waiting to set my flinter sights on big game. Congrats on yer hunt.............................Daniel

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Good job with the flinter, I know PA has some nice area and deer to hunt, must of been good with no other hunters around

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats nice deer. Im planing on doing a deer hunt this year and a turkey hunt in PA
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have often though of doing that hunt. Congrats and thanks for sharing the info.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Very nice, I have a channel on Youtube I like to watch and the guys are out of PA and run smoke poles.

For the guns, I have heard that you are limited to traditional, round ball or PA Conical with no optics and a side lock, is this true? Can you use a percussion cap or is it flint lock only?
    Most flintlocks in the US colonies were made in PA...even today there are many craftsmen who make beautiful hand made guns. In recognition of this heritage PA has this special flintlock season. You can only use flinters...no cap & ball...no optics. Some hunters who participate in the hunt wear tradition clothes...very cool.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
    Most flintlocks in the US colonies were made in PA...even today there are many craftsmen who make beautiful hand made guns. In recognition of this heritage PA has this special flintlock season. You can only use flinters...no cap & ball...no optics. Some hunters who participate in the hunt wear tradition clothes...very cool.
    I wanted a flinter, could afford a Kentucky rifle percussion, still have a flinter on my want list .

This would be a neat season, not overly expensive either.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Hey Fox, we did this as a group for several yrs, took a converted bus, met some great people down in P.A. Trust me when i say those flinters can test your patience when they misfire. On saying that we brought back venison most yrs. No issues at the border then.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

What's the deal down there for CWD screening? Any hassles getting your meat home over the border? Did it have to be boned-out for CFA to allow entry into Canada?