Thread: Finding fish in small ponds

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Finding fish in small ponds

Hi everyone, near my house there is a very small pond, and in the summer i have seen a pike, some bass, and some sunfish. It is very shallow and weedy and has one drain and one spring coming in. I recently tried ice fishing, and made holes all throughout the whole pond. There is basically no steucture except seaweed everywhere, and the deepest spot is about a 10 foot by 10 foot area about feet deep. I could notmsee a single fish, i tried jigs, worms, spoons, etc. No bite nothing. Where are the fish? Any help is appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Try again! Never know what you will find in there. I caught green sunfish a few years back in a small pond. They looked like a pumpkin seed mixed with rock bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The problem is i cant fish near the shore because its only 1 foot of water above the weaweed, so i only have that 10 by 10 foot area thats more than 3 feet deep. Would the fish just be out in the open there? Thanks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

IMG_20181224_120713.jpg
    That's basically the size of the pond

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Not that many places to hide. Maybe there not in there at all in the winter since theres a way out. Ask someone with a flasher or sonar and see if they are even in there.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thats a good idea. I dont think they can get out? The drain is a sewer type thing and its blocked off so only drips go through. The other creek coming in i have followed up and it seems it stops and comes out of the ground at one point. And thats it. Unless they are going underground for a bit i dont see its possible for them to leave. Is it? Thanks so much guys

Just starting out

User Info Menu

If you can get live minnows I would drop one into the deepest hole and see if anything comes out of the weeds

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hard to get them here, but i might be able to catch some out of the creek that goes in.