Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit and Miss weekend

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Hit and Miss weekend

Was out at dawn yesterday and did two sets with two calling sequences. Lots of sign they are around but nothing responded. While walking back to the truck with everything packed up and strapped to my back, lo and behold, there is a coyote standing 150 yards away in the middle of a field... broadside and unaware! I took a knee and tried to get steady and cursed my shooting sticks being bundled up in my gear. Took a shot and he jumped and took off with both afterburners lit. No hair, no blood...nada. I tracked him in the snow for a bit but wrote it off as a miss.

Went back today and set up at dawn again. Once it was light enough I started the decoy then some little vole squeaks. Let out a couple female coyote barks and a hawk came cruising in to have a look. Then I hit the lighting jack and in short order, this coyote came on a full run out of the grass and into the field at the decoy. He was only about 30 - 35 yds so I let him have it with the shotgun barrel. I hit him a little far back and he went into a spin. Soon as he went to run for the bush, I hit him with the 5.6x50R and that killed him on the spot. I forgot how much work they are...but a fat healthy male he was. No mange and a thick pelt.

I thought of it too late, but regretted not posting pics like Frank. He tells a better story.
    Last edited by dilly; January 13th, 2019 at 07:23 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice job calling this guy in.... Interesting setup (gun) you got there.... Nice skinning job there too
    Congrats on putting the fur down
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Nice job. Im thinking about getting into coyote hunting myself and dont understand why some people use shotguns close range. I always assumed those people dont care about keeping the pelt but clearly you kept the pelt and it didnt ruin it. What shot/slugs are you using?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick613 View Post
    Nice job. Im thinking about getting into coyote hunting myself and dont understand why some people use shotguns close range. I always assumed those people dont care about keeping the pelt but clearly you kept the pelt and it didnt ruin it. What shot/slugs are you using?

#4 buck in 16ga. Little holes. Can barely see them.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Cool man. That makes sense. Good to know that works, thanks for the explaination.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Every time a coyote gets shot, an angel gets it wings
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Dilly, are you loading your own 16 ga. buck? I haven't seen Federal Powershok 16 ga. buckshot on the shelves lately.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Nice Shootin' Dilly!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointer View Post
    Dilly, are you loading your own 16 ga. buck? I haven't seen Federal Powershok 16 ga. buckshot on the shelves lately.
    Yes, I am. 1oz is about 10 pellets as I recall.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Nice work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast