Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blind vs...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
    I have never used a blind. I don't even like to set up on field edges anymore, I have more success going into the bush. Sometimes you have to move around when things aren't working out as planned. Last year on one sit, I was in my normal spot that I get a turkey every spring. Not hearing anything I decide to pack it in. Exiting the bush I see them right where they should be but for some reason wouldn't answer me from where I originally sat. So I started calling from the edge of the bush, about twice as far as I was at first, and in less than 5 minutes they had covered the 250yds between us and I had my first tom of the season.
    Its all part of the game. On a couple of occasions after setting up the blind in the perceived "right spot" had to abandon the blind if the birds didn't follow the plan. Just because the blind is staked to the ground doesn't me you are too. There have also been times that I've set out the blind just incase it may rain later in the day just to have a place too retreat to if the weather doesn't cooperate.
    One thing a successful turkey hunter needs to be is versatile.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I never use an enclosed blind. I use a low pop up blind sheet material enough to cover the lower half of my body. This way i could move my legs and use calls on my lap without being seen. That being said a hub style blind has its time and place (example) bad weather, mosquitoes and the main reason to hide movement. If the person you take with you moves to much then a blind is probably a good option. You always can run and gun and try no blind and see if it works for you guys. Good luck
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

User Info Menu

Another reason I probably won't use a blind this turkey season... I'm too cheap to buy a new one after last season's wind storm

"What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I hate turkey hunting out of a blind, but I hate turkey hunting in the rain even more. So with limited days I use them in the rain.
    Things that fly turn me on

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I put one up every year, but the last 3 years I got my bird run and gunning or sitting somewhere else in the bush. I typically sit in it first thing, if nothing around then go for walk, or if it decides to rain I will always sit in it. I have taken 3 birds over the years sitting in it in the pouring rain.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I've used a blind for the past 20 years. I enjoy getting out of the snow, rain, sleet, hail, etc. (yes, we've seen all of these during turkey season). Blinds are great when you have young kids / hunters that have trouble staying still & it can help to hide a video camera(s) if you enjoy filming your hunts. I also like the added challenge of bringing the bird to me rather than chasing after them. Just my 2 cents, and there's no right or wrong way to hunt turkeys as long as it's legal.
    So many critters & so little time to hunt......

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Every time I hunt form a blind for turkey I feel like my view is very limited, and I just want to get out and look around. Now I just sit down and stay still. I did like the blind when the weather is crappy. I will still use a blind while deer hunting but not for Turkey anymore.
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I think most people answering this question missed the point - you want to hunt with 2 people.
    When hunting alone a blind is never needed in most cases, as long as you can sit with something behind you taller & wider than you to break up your outline, or cover in front of you. However, with 2 people its very hard to find something big enough to sit in front of/behind, and this is where a blind will be a great help.
    I have spent the past 5 years hunting with my grandson (started him at 12), and always set up in some kind of a blind for cover when hunting with him. I have a hub blind that I set in 1 prime spot on the family farm, but also build a few brush blinds at other good turkey spots. Anything to break up our outline works, and a brush/weed covered screen can be set up in minutes. I also carry a screen blind (camo mesh w metal stakes) with us in case we come upon a spot where no cover is available.

User Info Menu

I can count on one hand how many times I've used a blind while turkey hunting, and have never shot a bird from one.

To be honest though, rarely do I spent more than an hour to an hour and a half sitting in one spot. I'll usually only do this if I have a specific bird roosted.

I like to 'run and gun' rather than sit and wait.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I'm with genec on the blind issue. Having some kind of blind in front of two guys would better your chances. Newbies fidget...they can't help it they're Newbies. LoL ! Full tent blinds are lovely if you have the money and/or private place to put it up and leave it up but some old burlap cammo and some sticks to support it will work in a hurry. Throw whatever grass or cornstalks or shrubs on it or in front of it and Bingo ! Cheap and portable.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast