Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: I don't know why the deer population crashed

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    I'm no expert so look up someone who is to find a modern recipe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI6slOkbvjA
    Seems small birds are common fare
    I think jcee has now gone off all this eating blackbirds and crow thing now and has exited stage left. LOL

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Not saying I know it all,big difference between you and me is I went to Portugal and saw first hand what was there,where as you talked to your barber.he,he...

Q by the way , " four and twenty blackbirds baked into a pie " didn't that originate in the British Isles ?

R.Yes it probably did and it was a simple nursery rhyme.

"We are all pretty familiar with this little nursery rhyme from when we were children, but did you know that they would actually put birds in a pie as a great joke or form of entertainment?"

How in the world did they do this? Well in medieval times the way they made pie crusts was a little different than in present time. The crust was thick, and could be baked first, and would rise forming a pot, hence the term "pot pie." The lid would be removed from the pie, and the birds would then be set inside, the lid put back on, and then this wildly entertaining dish placed before the host of the party.

P.S. As someone who is constantly eating crow on here I though you would appreciate this little bit of history LOL
    We all know that you have eaten plenty of it even on this thread,, don't try to make it appear the other way around.

At least my barber actually goes out and does it every year he, he, he, you most likely saw very little of what was there and again just assumed "this is what it is like all over the countryside "

What you have seen ??? I could say the same about for instance " Luther Marsh " I saw no ducks the day I was there , therefore the place is all shot out .

You have been proven wrong on many , many occasions, but just fail to realize it, because after all "you are Gilroy ". and you see things only one way and that is "your way ".
    How many threads have been closed because of you ? and don,t forget you are banned from the OF Topic Forum , yes , you have done it all by yourself.
    Last edited by jaycee; February 6th, 2019 at 04:31 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

So, why is the honey bee and monarch butterfly population crashing? Over hunted? Dang hunters, control yourselves...lol

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I’m my opinion hunting actually helps animal populations. No one cares more for animals then hunters do. When I say hunting I mean regulated hunting not poaching. We are the true conservationist. We are the ones putting money in land and making habitats for animals. No others group has saved and protected more land in the world then hunters. I find the more hunters in an area the more game there will be. Just look south of the border to us.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    I’m my opinion hunting actually helps animal populations. No one cares more for animals then hunters do. When I say hunting I mean regulated hunting not poaching. We are the true conservationist. We are the ones putting money in land and making habitats for animals. No others group has saved and protected more land in the world then hunters. I find the more hunters in an area the more game there will be. Just look south of the border to us.
    Yup hunter driven conservation. Just stands to reason a hunter has a vested interest in preserving populations as no animals means no hunting. A lot of the griping I believe comes from the fact that populations are not what they use to be problem is habitat isn't what it used to be either. Watched a show last night The Flush featured bird hunting in Nebraska. 98% of the land in private hands. Seems hunters got together and put systems in place to promote hunting. From hunting funds going to private land owners to put fields back into grassland with an open access for hunting to promoting head cropping of wheat fields to leave ground cover for wildlife. These efforts have increased both bird numbers and hunting access.
    Seems both programs would be great to adopt here. Cause the two biggest issues are lack of habitat, you just need to look at the amount of ploughed over barren fields left after the harvest ,with land access the other concern.
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; February 6th, 2019 at 05:37 PM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Around here, I’d say it’s habitat loss. If it looks like a tree....it’s cut down. Hundreds of acres of bush have been torn out. Fence rows are virtually non-existent, ditch banks that were once good cover for game, have been systematically cut down with not enough cover left to hide a mouse.
    Last edited by rick_iles; February 6th, 2019 at 05:45 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Around here, I’d say it’s habitat loss. If it looks like a tree....it’s cut down. Hundreds of acres of bush have been torn out. Fence rows are virtually non-existent, ditch banks that were once good cover for game, have been systematically cut down with not enough cover left to hide a mouse.
    That's what another European study found:

Lepus europaeus is recognized as an important game species throughout its distribution and as such conservation measures are required to halt declining populations (Flux and Angermann 1990). The recent decline of this species has garnered it protection under the Bern Convention as an Appendix III listing (Vaughan et al. 2003). In Norway, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, population declines have resulted in country-specific Red Listing as "near threatened" or "threatened" (Reichlin et al. 2006).

Research is needed to determine population dynamics specific to habitat type and the effects habitat change has on life history parameters with regard to declines (Smith et al. 2005). There is a lack of understanding as to why hare numbers are low in pastoral landscapes and therefore, research should be conducted within this habitat type with particular emphasis paid to demography and behavioral ecology (Smith et al. 2005). When population declines are the direct result of agricultural intensification, which results in increased application of fertilizer, landscape homogeneity and mechanization, population declines of L. europaeus can be countered by augmenting habitat to boost heterogeneity (Smith et al. 2005).

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    In the waste land of Portugal
    here's another one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRpGfzT8eqc&t=26s
    Nice video. Beautiful hunting cover.
    The dog work is a bit rough - but I guess its hunting, not a field trial.
    The browning autoloader doesn't quite fit my idea of European shotgun.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Agree on the dog work, and it looked liked a golf course bordered the area that they were hunting.
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Nice video. Beautiful hunting cover.
    The dog work is a bit rough - but I guess its hunting, not a field trial.
    The browning autoloader doesn't quite fit my idea of European shotgun.
    That's what I kind of liked about it. Certainly not pretty but what hunting should be. Unpretentious guys getting out for a hunt. Dispels the myth only the rich can hunt.
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; February 6th, 2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted