Thread: Fixing the mojo

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Fixing the mojo

A few years ago a friend of mine found a killer deal on 2 x mojos. He took one, I took the other.
    Well the thing has been through several tough seasons and I noticed that the motor wasn't working the way it had been.
    There were 2 x field fixes.
    The on off switch wasn't working.
    It was a rat nest of impromptu wiring to fix it and keep going.
    Returning from a recent deployment I've run out of other chores so looking for things to do led me to tackle this.
    In order - as best I can....
    I started by drilling out the rivets to access the motor.
    Once removed, I inspected the toggle switch, wires, motor, connectors etc... they were in a poor state.
    I cut the connectors from the motor and toggle switch. Put new connections and heat shrunk them all.
    I replaced the motor with an old rc motor I had lying around.
    I then was a bit stumped for a toggle switch until I remembered I had an old flashlight that is in the trash - i fished it out and cannibalized the toggle switch - to my surprise it's waterproof.
    I then tested all the components - wouldn't you know it - it works once again.

This was as minimalist as I could go. A busted rc car and flashlight provided me enough to get this going again.

Yes - I left the old toggle on it as I didn't feel the need to plug the hole for aesthetics.
    Total cost of repairs:
    Time: 60 mins as I was entertaining 2 dogs.
    RC motor - free (Amazon had it for $19)
    Toggle switch - free (Amazon = 20 Circular switches for $14.99)
    6 x connections I'll estimate $1

And 1 of the dogs seemed happy I was done as it was his dinner time I was infringing on.

On to the next project.

B.

Support your troops. We support you.

B.
    Support your Troops. They support you.

Brandon MacDonald

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Great save Brother.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Looks good nice save
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I've gotta do this again over the Winter with my Higdon floater. I've fixed so many damn spinners it's not even funny!

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Awesome. I have one of the original Canadaduks. It lasted 15 seasons on the original battery. I wrote them this year and tried to get a new unit, plus a replacement battery. The guy advised he has boxed up that business to pursue other interests. He has tons of motors and equipment to build another 100 units I think he said. If I was handy and had some space, I would buy it as I think he wanted about $10K. So if anyone is looking for a retirement or side business, his contact info is on the Canadaduk site. They are amazing units, all come with remotes and they have the best hard plastic wings. I truly believe it is the best hunting related product I have ever purchased. And NO, I am not in ANY way affiliated with the company or its owner.

Anyway, got side-tracked there. Your efforts have motivated me to try drilling mine out and replacing the rechargeable battery as I think that is all that mine needs. FYI, his units are plastic welded and watertight so I am hoping all is good inside. I may post how it goes, but I am turd with tools and I am guessing there will be lots of cursing and band-aids involved. Cheers.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
    Awesome. I have one of the original Canadaduks. It lasted 15 seasons on the original battery. I wrote them this year and tried to get a new unit, plus a replacement battery. The guy advised he has boxed up that business to pursue other interests. He has tons of motors and equipment to build another 100 units I think he said. If I was handy and had some space, I would buy it as I think he wanted about $10K. So if anyone is looking for a retirement or side business, his contact info is on the Canadaduk site. They are amazing units, all come with remotes and they have the best hard plastic wings. I truly believe it is the best hunting related product I have ever purchased. And NO, I am not in ANY way affiliated with the company or its owner.

Anyway, got side-tracked there. Your efforts have motivated me to try drilling mine out and replacing the rechargeable battery as I think that is all that mine needs. FYI, his units are plastic welded and watertight so I am hoping all is good inside. I may post how it goes, but I am turd with tools and I am guessing there will be lots of cursing and band-aids involved. Cheers.
    For my Mojos, I just buy UB645 batteries from the local Gerrie Electric store instead of the Mojo branded ones. Think I paid $9 a battery for the last few I bought.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.