Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down-rigger Clip or Line Release

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Down-rigger Clip or Line Release

I have an idea about downriggers and watched few times how it works but never operated any. I now got two complete sets of downriggers. They came with four cannonball, two different weights. Could anybody suggest me why there are four cannonballs for two downriggers, any other reason than to use heavy ones for deeper water and lighter for more shallow?
    Also, question about clips/line release. My understanding is that clips and line release used for the same purpose. On the picture you can see what I have. Could you suggest me what is better to use - clips or line release?
    Thank you.

Attachment 38104
    Last edited by MarkD; March 4th, 2019 at 05:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

MarkD
    Attachment doesn't work .
    I prefer clips ..... clothes pin like releases to those that you rap line around . Cannon ball weights are just a personal preference ...some like to have the balls track further back some close ... I normally ran 10 Lbs . Feel free to PM me and I'll try to steer you in the right directions
    Glen

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Sorry for the attachment. It worked initially, as I checked it. Here it is now.
    Thanks for the answer, Glen. I might get more questions when I install it on the boat and try but for now just this one.
    If Iwould want to put two lures on one downrigger, what is better (or easy to operate and less mess to get) - to use two rods or just one rod with a slider line? If I would use slider line, is it better to clip it to the downrigger cable or to the main line?
    Thanks.
    Line releaswe.jpg

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

MarkD
    The bottom clip is the one I prefer ., As far as running another lure we would simply run a slider ( 2 snap swivels and a 6 foot piece of line ) the main line will bow out and the slider will go down to aprox. the half way mark .... you have to pay a little more attention to your rods as a fish may not pop the rod .... you might just see a twitch in the rod tip . When the fish is played the snap swivel will run to the end of the main line . I do not recommend you run more then 6 feet as you may not beable to reel the fish in close enough to net .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You should also check out the Chamberlain release. I really like this release because you can set it to release on small fish. I set mine so white perch etc, release rather than being towed around ..

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Yes, Thanks. Good advises. Can't wait for the summer time....

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I use the top clip, looks like a black release. 5 twists of your line (8 if braid) and attach and clip in. I have a lot more luck with those types. I set my release poundage by using a fish scale and pulling until they release. On erie where I do most of the rigging I set to 2-2.5 lbs due to the smaller walleyes along with the junk fish we catch. I have used the pinch pads and find if they don't hit it hard wont release and as well they can be in consistent - pad wear, depth of line into pad etc)

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    Sorry for the attachment. It worked initially, as I checked it. Here it is now.
    Thanks for the answer, Glen. I might get more questions when I install it on the boat and try but for now just this one.
    If Iwould want to put two lures on one downrigger, what is better (or easy to operate and less mess to get) - to use two rods or just one rod with a slider line? If I would use slider line, is it better to clip it to the downrigger cable or to the main line?
    Thanks.
    Line releaswe.jpg
    I far prefer using stackers and a second rod when downrigging for lakers, as I have more control over the depth of the second line. More often than not where I fish, the lake trout seem to be within 20' of the bottom in 140' of water in the Summer. Running the stackers allows me to have one line just off the bottom, and another within 10 or 20 feet. If I were to have cheaters halfway up, they wouldn't catch much.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

One thing I don't like stackers because if for any reason you need to take out one line you have to take another one as well. I found it's annoying and not efficient. Also, if I get a fish one lower line it gets tangle with the upper one.
    BTW, any advises on the length of the lines behind the cannon ball for lower and upper lines?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    One thing I don't like stackers because if for any reason you need to take out one line you have to take another one as well. I found it's annoying and not efficient. Also, if I get a fish one lower line it gets tangle with the upper one.
    BTW, any advises on the length of the lines behind the cannon ball for lower and upper lines?
    Sure, you have to set up again, but in the grand scheme of things that only takes a couple minutes. I've never had any issues with tangling, as I always pull off the top rod and reel it in when we're fighting a fish. We run two riggers (one on each side), so we just try to control and net the fish on that side so we don't have to pull anything off of the other downrigger.

As for length, I usually run at least 50' leads behind the cannon ball for all lines. Usually somewhere in the neighbourhood of 65'.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast