Thread: Trolling rod suggestion

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Trolling rod suggestion

I知 new to trolling, I just got this reel, okuma coldwater. Very excited to try it. I知 not super hard core into trolling yet, so hoping for a rod that does a bit of everything, trolling for pike but mainly early season lakers and some dipsy diver laker fishing. Any suggestions!?

Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Cheap Fiberglass is what I ended up with after going through some expensive carbon rods that got damaged by newbies and kids. As a bonus the FG rods don't attract lightening.

The carbon rods just don't hold up to abuse like fiberglass does.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maskedburito View Post
    I知 new to trolling, I just got this reel, okuma coldwater. Very excited to try it. I知 not super hard core into trolling yet, so hoping for a rod that does a bit of everything, trolling for pike but mainly early season lakers and some dipsy diver laker fishing. Any suggestions!?

Thanks!!
    That痴 good to know. Thanks!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I love my Coldwater reels! I matched them up with Ugly stick rods, for walleye and bow trolling.
    I also have a couple Okuma Pro GLT 7 foot trolling rods that do a great job and won’t break the bank....
    Last edited by rick_iles; February 7th, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

X 2 on the 7' ugly stick, got mine at C.T. at a clearance sale cheap. Sensitive tip with plenty of back bone.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

For dipseys I like a minimum of 9 foot rods, only because I will often run an 8 foot lead off the dipsey and its nice to have that extra rod length when landing fish. Shimano TDR's are nice, as are Daiwa wilderness series.
    Last edited by diverduck; February 9th, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diverduck View Post
    For dipseys I like a minimum of 9 foot rods, only because I will often run an 8 foot lead off the dipsey and its nice to have that extra rod length when landing fish. Shimano TDR's are nice, as are Daiwa wilderness series.
    Awesome thanks. So maybe a 9 foot over a 7 foot would give me more options to use a dipsy diver or not.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Depending on how much trolling you do and the size of your boat you may not want a 9 ft rod. If you were using it strictly for dipsys then yes but when you池e trolling for pike a 9 ft rod is very cumbersome, especially in a small boat.
    I would buy 2 separate rods for each application. A 6-7 ft medium action for the pike and an8 or 9 ft heavy action for pulling dipsys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

After a buddy sat on one of my rods....Grrr...I replaced it with an Okuma 8’6” downrigger rod. It seems to be a good rod, and not too pricey !!