Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canning Moose Meat

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

Default Canning Moose Meat

Anyone have any recipes? I am interested in trying it. I hear it’s a specialty in Newfoundland?

Thanks in advance

Roe+
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Lots of good canning videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+moose+meat
    So many critters & so little time to hunt......

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Cubed moose meat into jar to the shoulder, place bay leaf on top, put lid on and follow standard canning procedure.

I've had 4 year old moose come out as good as the day it went in. Dump in a slow cooker with carrots, onions, and potatoes, add seasonings, and come back in a few hours.

And yes....not Newfie....but me fadder is.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Can (bottle) all our wild game.

Can make pre made soups in the can, comes out super tender. Just remember that the spices keep working the longer it sits a little can go along ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

As has been mentioned, there's a lot of recipes online. Ive done venison that turned out great just following basic guidelines for meat canning. I think the next time I do it, I may add some onion?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

My dad used to make lots when I was younger. I remember it being really good. Almost forgot about it. I don’t remember seeing the recipe in my mom recipe book she gave me. Will check if I can find it.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

That sounds like something I will try. A quick question, though. When canning raw meat, some videos say to add water up to the jar neck, others say to add no liquid and let the meat make its own broth when heated. Is one method preferrable to the other?
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    That sounds like something I will try. A quick question, though. When canning raw meat, some videos say to add water up to the jar neck, others say to add no liquid and let the meat make its own broth when heated. Is one method preferrable to the other?
    I would suggest you don't ad water? Plenty of juice will come out of the meat and I think adding water would dilute the flavour? Another important thing to remember is the risk of too much in the jar. If the juices overflow as its being processed, the seal will be contaminated. Dangerous when dealing with meat preservation.

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

I’ve read a few articles and watched a few videos, then found out the outfitter will assist us. I was thinking 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 clove garlic and may be some onion per 500 ml. I would double it for a 1 litre jar.

Roe+
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    I think it's a matter of preference. The moose meat I've had didn't have water added, but I'm sure it's fine either way.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast