Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: advice please

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default advice please

Going for my PAL in two weeks, got hooked after experiencing my first gun range shooting with my brother in law. Next year i want to go hunting. looking for advice on my first rifle, bin doing some research but cant find consensus on a model no more than 600$ in 30.06 caliber. dont mind if it is used but would be great if it where new. can anyone come up with a good set up for a newbie (rifle+scope) for big game? hunting in Ontario Canada.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Have a look at the Savage Axis. A good entry level rifle that won’t break the bank. They are a very accurate gun for the money. The trigger is a bit stiff, but you will not likely notice it.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/26831...-rifle-w-scope
    Last edited by rick_iles; November 16th, 2018 at 04:45 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Have a look at the Savage Axis. A good entry level rifle that wonít break the bank. They are a very accurate gun for the money. The trigger is a bit stiff, but you will not likely notice it.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/26831...-rifle-w-scope
    the Axis II has the accutrigger.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

thanks for the info, but dont they have a problem with the pin? heard Savage is not acknowledging it. is it true or just someone with a lemon?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedSheep View Post
    thanks for the info, but dont they have a problem with the pin? heard Savage is not acknowledging it. is it true or just someone with a lemon?
    I am not sure what you mean,
    The Axis savage has a lot of good reviews so not sure what you mean by "problem with the pin" can you explain this a bit more.
    And maybe think about a .270 since as it meets the caliber restriction that is in place here in parts of southern Ontario.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedSheep View Post
    Going for my PAL in two weeks, got hooked after experiencing my first gun range shooting with my brother in law. Next year i want to go hunting. looking for advice on my first rifle, bin doing some research but cant find consensus on a model no more than 600$ in 30.06 caliber. dont mind if it is used but would be great if it where new. can anyone come up with a good set up for a newbie (rifle+scope) for big game? hunting in Ontario Canada.

Thank you
    Ruger American is also an excellent "entry level" rifle for the beginner which comes in a variety of calibers. Rather than .30-06 as a starter,I suggest .270Win which is far more versatile and will easily handle every hunting situation from Coyotes to Moose.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Have to agree that a .270 will fill the bill and much easier on the shoulder than the 30-06. I see there is one in the for sale section.............Daniel

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I would suggest a Axis as well, I have had two, one in .223 and one in .243 and have had no problems with either. If you don't get the accutrigger version there are a ton of videos on you tube how to make the trigger lighter, Just do this with caution as you can make it too light and unsafe. Good luck!
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
    Have to agree that a .270 will fill the bill and much easier on the shoulder than the 30-06. I see there is one in the for sale section.............Daniel
    I am of a difference opinion regarding 270 being easier on the shoulder. I owned a Remington 7600 in 30/06 and 270. The 270 kicked like a mule.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BPR 30-06 View Post
    I am of a difference opinion regarding 270 being easier on the shoulder. I owned a Remington 7600 in 30/06 and 270. The 270 kicked like a mule.
    It was the gun not the cal. Those rifles have a shorter lop and a solid plastic butt plate. I've heard your same complaint from many other 7600 owners, shot a couple myself and do agree...lol.
    Op your getting some great advice on the Savages or Rugers for your budget. Not sure on prices but Weatherby Vanguard is another good rifle around your budget. I agree with the others 270 Winchester for sure, it will do all you ask of it with less recoil than a 30-06. Bushnell may be a consideration for a budget scope, lifetime warranty is hard to beat. Maybe try and find a one piece picatinny base for mounting your scope. You'll have much more room for mounting your scope exactly where you want it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast