Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most exciting hunt so far :)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Most exciting hunt so far :)

Needing to kill 3 hours before picking up my son from his friends place (which just so happens to be near one of the farms I got permission to hunt) decided to try some afternoon coyote hunting.....
    I got to the farm just before 3pm.... Knowing this farm is hit hard by the hounds men, other callers and the farmers that I would need a different tactic to try and trick one of these call shy coyotes in.....
    After setting up, I let things settle down and just watched the 500 x 700 yd field for 30 minutes before playing some crow calls for 5 minutes... Then went silent again for another 20 minutes... Now my plan was to play coyote vocals for a minute and go silent for 20 minutes in hopes of having a coyote stick his head out....
    I did the coyote howl thing for about 2 hrs, coyote vocal for a minute, silence for 20 minutes.......(Now, I normally don't sit/call for hours but I had to kill some time before picking up my son)..........after 2 hrs of nothing and getting cold around 5pm, I let the coyote vocal sound out again and to my surprise (scared the crap out of me) a couple of coyote light up right behind me in the little bush I was leaning up against.
    They were close real close.... So I got up off my chair, went to the fence line and peeked inside the bush. Now I can hear them, they are really close just can't see them.... After a minute they go silent. I wait 5 minutes and play that coyote howl again and again they light up, this time I spot them, really close, 20 yds away but I can't shoot in the bush too much branches in the way....
    All of a sudden one runs right through the fence and enters my field, I spin around, and from a standing position yell out wolf to get it to stop and bang, from less than 10 yds this coyote is toast, I mean toast....What a rush.............. I turn and spot the other one running through the bush....
    Now the words I wrote don't do the hunt justice, by far this is one of the coolest coyote hunts I ever had.....
    The setup

The pose
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

What a rush that must have been. I would have been in awe and never pulled the trigger. Nicely done...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Great stories, and hunts as usual, you're really knocking em down again Frank

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Great hunt, great read! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Man, your having a pile of fun, what a rush for sure. Congrats
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

So cool. This time of the year is truly the best for calling. Breeding season they are travelling more, very territorial and respond to coyote vocals more than anything else. They really seem to come in looking for a fight. Your the best at this Frank, keep em coming!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

great hunt. Were you able to see it in the scope at 10 yds or did you just eyeball it ?
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thats incredible!! Way to go Frank!!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parkcity View Post
    great hunt. Were you able to see it in the scope at 10 yds or did you just eyeball it ?
    No, managed to get the cross-hairs on her (lots of fur in the scope though).... poor coyote, she got it good... as I shot she turned to run back but it was too late, that bullet did too good of a job.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well done sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast