Thread: Herter's decoys

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Herter's decoys

Anybody know where to get some of the old Herter's foam (series 72) diver decoys. Send me a PM if you have some you would get rid of. thanks. Aquaman

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Keep an eye on Kijiji and Ebay. Both Herter's and Restles are some of the most bulletproof decoys on the market. Many hardcore diver hunters use them, and accumulate their rig over time, as they are hard to find these days. Most of the time you find 2 or 3 here and there, but the odd time you'll luck out and find a dozen or more. Don't be afraid to buy them if they're beat up. Some burlap, mastic and a basic paint job will do wonders to a foam bird.

I make my own foam decoys using 5lb expandable foam, cast in a silicone mold off of a master carved by my father. If you're handy, it's a relatively simple process, and most of a rig can be made during the off-season if you're dedicated enough. I restle coat my birds instead of burlap, and put a trex decking keel on them. I tried wooden bottom boards on a few dozen, but found it took too long, and was unnecessary. My heads are cast in Smooth-On Featherlite, which is a lightweight pour-able plastic. I found the regular weight stuff made the birds too top/front heavy, and they didn't float right.

Some guys focus too much on self-righting birds. My birds don't self right when tossed. If you make your birds wide enough, when you drag your longline into position, the birds will right, and will stay righted. If you're running singles, just place them right way up. I use the same molds for Reds/Blues, and change the head for other species. FYI, the Bluebill in the photo is wet, which is why it appears shiny.

8d01fa11-7bfe-4dff-82f2-8e3f946330f1.jpg

27c42000-a8cb-4132-ac46-d8486b09608a.jpg

-Nick
    Last edited by Sprite; February 14th, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Very nice work Nick. They look great...

Pete
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Those are beautiful decoys youve made

Just starting out

User Info Menu

how many are you looking for?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

you do great work, those decoys look amazing.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

looking for as many as i can get. thanks. PM me

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Herter's Model 72 Durlon decoys

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Anybody know where to get some of the old Herter's foam (series 72) diver decoys. Send me a PM if you have some you would get rid of. thanks. Aquaman
    As you know these are the large size; 7 inches wide and 16 inches long. I have 24 Bluebills and 24 Whistlers in near-mint condition having been used only 3 or 4 times as they are too large, in my experience, for the Beaver ponds which I now hunt almost exclusively. I have no idea of value so this needs a little exploration. I hunt the Big Rideau in the Perth - Rideau Ferry area. If interested I can be reached at 613-283-9960.