Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Browning BAR 338

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Browning BAR 338

Anyone on here have any experience hunting/shooting with them both the gun and the caliber.

I have the option to buy one at a reasonable price with the Boss muzzle break.

Probably overkill on anything I'd ever hunt in this province but wondered if anyone has an personal experience with the BAR and the Caliber.

I read some reviews of cycling issues with the BAR's and high power calibers.
    Things that fly turn me on

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    Anyone on here have any experience hunting/shooting with them both the gun and the caliber.

I have the option to buy one at a reasonable price with the Boss muzzle break.

Probably overkill on anything I'd ever hunt in this province but wondered if anyone has an personal experience with the BAR and the Caliber.

I read some reviews of cycling issues with the BAR's and high power calibers.
    My great uncle uses one for deer, I guess the idea of not being more dead really does fit.

I do not have any details on the gun outside of the fact that it has to work and be accurate, he was close to being part of the Canadian shooting team as a young man, he needs accurate rifles.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have a Bar in 30-06 with zero cycling issues, and very accurate as well. If you research you will find that most problems relating to the Bar are caused by reloads. For some reason most do not cycle 100% when using them. I currently have a Mark V chambered in 340Weatherby and am hoping to find a Bar in 338WinMag. The difference in felt recoil will be significant. Bar's just seem to soak up a larger percentage of recoil than most bolt guns. Just my own findings.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Buddy had a 700BDL years ago in 338. Didn't have it very long, said it wasn't much fun to shoot due to the recoil. 4 or 5 shots at a time to sight in was all he could manage comfortably. He wondered why he got such a great deal on it. But the browning semi with muzzle brake would tame it considerably.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

With that big a calibre and a muzzle break you had better wear ear protection!
    i've heard some nasty reports of people getting permanent hearing damage from muzzle breaks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    With that big a calibre and a muzzle break you had better wear ear protection!
    i've heard some nasty reports of people getting permanent hearing damage from muzzle breaks.
    Muzzle brakes on any large caliber are very noisy.
    Out at the club a number of years ago, a fellow set up next to me with a .300 weatherby equipped with a brake, I was shooting my 7mm mag. but when he touched his off, I thought something had blown up. Even wearing my ear muff type ear protection, it was extremely loud, to the point of myself and a couple of others complaining to him and asking if he would quit till we finished,
    He did, we then finished our shooting and left leaving him to deal with his noise maker.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I can only assume all brakes are not created equal. I have no experience with the Boss system, but do have a brake on a savage 300 win mag. I was leery when I first got the rifle due to all the negative reports regarding ear-piercing blast. Truth be told, there is very little difference in noise whether the brake is turned on or off. Of course I wear good quality muffs. Like everything in life, opinions vary, but if using a brake at the range, I only keep it "on" for initial sight in. Once that's established, then I turn it off. If someone complained about the noise I would respectfully suggest they invest in better quality muffs.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If you can get it a a reasonable price and can afford it, I say buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, just sell it. It won't go down in value, assuming you've done your homework on the actual value of the gun.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

2 guys in my old camp had the BAR in 300 Win Mag and they were more or less single shot rifles with factory loads. My guess is it was more their level of care when it came to looking after their rifles (lack of cleaning), but it turned me off of semiautomatic rifles nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Yes, the Bar needs far more cleaning attention than the bolt guns. Running a brush thru the bore a couple times doesn't cut it. Particular care has to be taken with the gas ports. If they become even partially clogged, then you will have jamming problems. Truly beautiful rifles, but definitely high maintenance.

PS: If I find one in 338 WinMag and it has a boss system, the first thing I'll do is remove the boss. I don't believe a Bar in 338 needs it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast