Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit the bullet…aka bought the shells

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The proof is in the paper - you NEED to pattern your gun(s). I have a Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip (24" bbl) with an Indian Creek Choke that patterns amazing with HEVI13 - 3" 2oz #6 but if I try the same brand shell in 1-3/4oz load the pattern it falls apart (absolute crap). Now that HEVI 13 is getting rare these days I may have to start looking at a new alternative (I am in Chicago next week for work and will see if I can find any down there). I am also looking to pattern my Beretta 391 (26" bbl) as a back up gun and will experiment with some different loads using the factory turkey choke, and the Indian Creek choke. I will post the results.

The key to patterning is consistency - do not use the turkey target and could the holes in the 'kill zone' (head and neck). You are looking for an evenly dispersed dense pattern of hits within a small area. I use a 11x17 target with a 10" circle with a solid dot in the middle for sighting. I shoot the same choke/shell combo at different distances (20, 30, 40 and a 50) then count the hits within that 10" circle and write it on the target - because your pattern WILL change with each distance. This allows you to help compare one shell or choke from another.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Im debating on using my micro to minimize the lead in the meat or just go with the trusty benelli supernova and the 3" long beard xr. Anyone here prefer their xbow for turkey over their shotguns?

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zxexn View Post
    Im debating on using my micro to minimize the lead in the meat or just go with the trusty benelli supernova and the 3" long beard xr. Anyone here prefer their xbow for turkey over their shotguns?

There should be minimal pellets in the meat if your gun is patterned properly and you've shot the bird properly.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You should not have any concerns with lead in your diet hunting, there are a heck of a lot more toxic things in higher concentrations occurring naturally and making their way in to your food.

I know a guy that used to hunt turkey with steel, just no super full choke. You can also get non-toxic shot that is as soft as lead, if you are really worried about it.

The main thing is to cut out areas where the animals have been shot.

I am more concerned about breaking a tooth off on steel shot from a duck or goose than lead shot causing toxicity.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

.......X2

Bow is always fun for tag #2 plus there is more foliage to help hide the movement of a bow

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I made the switch to cross-bow Turkey hunting 2 seasons ago with my Excalibur. I use the Magnus bull-head broad-head.
    It proved to be much more challenging because you have to be patient and wait for that perfect neck shot. When you connect with the Magnus the bird drops on the spot. I really hate pellets in my meat. It turns me off & if your feeding it to non-hunters it is a very unpleasant experience for them not to mention they can potentially break teeth if your not careful... lol

Almost time to set-up my bow for Turkey!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12