Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rodent problem

Member for Life

User Info Menu

live trap. heavy gloves and carry the trap outside. dispatch before opening trap. 22 to the head and be sure it's dead before you take it out the trap.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

How are they getting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Not 100% sure how they are getting in we couldn't find any tracks outside leading inside and nothing other than on the roof where I took the pictures. We took a flashlight to all the hiding spots we could find and could find anything

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Big'ol coon, time for a trap as said in post's.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    Big'ol coon, time for a trap as said in post's.
    Or go back to that thread that Mike referred to and go to my post there. Problem solved.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

We set a trap and put a fresh chicken that was ready to be slaughtered in it yesterday nothing today but I'm sure in the next few days well get something or something on the camera we set up

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    COONS!
    The one pic is definitely coon front paws - not possum. possum front paws have a somewhat opposing thumb.
    Also the pile of crap is a dead coon giveaway. They seem to have a fav spot when crappin in attics etc. I've seen them pile it up so high you'd wonder if they were wearing high heels.
    Image result for possum tracks 280 × 189
    Backyard Poultry Flocks ...
    articles.extension.org
    Image result for possum tracks 329 × 242
    Virginia Opossum Tracks | Virginia ...
    flickr.com

I can't get the image to print, however it is the hind foot of the possum that has the opposing thumb look to it, it is the same description in all the links I found .

Also when you google possum scat , all pics. look like pic. provided by original post.

[COLOR=#464749] Raccoon feces are usually about two to three inches long[COLOR=#464749], dark and tubular in shape.
    Last edited by jaycee; March 10th, 2019 at 01:14 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

pic 1 and pic 3 do not appear to be the same animal. pic 1 looks like a cat. pic 3 is a coon in my opinion. Pic 4 is an attic above a room. That pile of droppings all in one spot is very coonish. I've seen this behavior hundreds of times and it always was a coon in the end. Now maybe possums pile it up too BUT I've never seen that yet. Also coons are notorious for inhabiting attics and high places. Possums on the other hand are content to stay closer to the ground. They tend to crawl under stuff like a skunk would. Finally the fact that Turkeys are being taken just doesn't convince me that a possum would be involved. They are pretty timid and usually like their stuff when it doesn't put up a fuss. Like fruit, dead animals, eggs, etc.

Who knows? in an open barn like the poster said it could be 2 or 3 different varmints. maybe even an owl.
    If the trap is left there for a while I'm sure they'll catch possums, coons, skunks, and a few cats!
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Possums are also notorious climbers;
    Possums sleep (during the day) in holes (called dens) above the ground, in hollow tree branches or building ceiling cavities, or at or below ground level. A possum can have several dens and can change dens several times per night.

A farmer a few years ago when I asked about shooting a few groundhogs, told me to kill the possums as they were killing his turkeys, which they are very capable of doing.
    They were attacking the turkeys while they were walking around in broad daylight, they would attach themselves to the turkeys butt end and start chewing away, eating the turkey while it was still alive,I saw this twice while at that farm.
    Last edited by jaycee; March 10th, 2019 at 05:25 PM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Set up a trail cam and trap

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast